Sign in to follow this  
Kube

Philips SBCHE590/00 Inner-ear phones

Saw this at Hung Bro's and it looked very interesting. Suppose to give virtual 'surround sound'.

The Earphones...

Going for 45. On impulse...I bought them and tried them on. I can't say they're...BAD, just different from other earphones...sound strange...the background instruments are amplified, while main lead instruments are dampened. For example, in an orchestra piece, the piano that produces the main variations sound softer, while the accompanying violins and cello's seem louder.

In the end, the effect is that I always seem to need to boost the volume. Like all cheap in-ear phones, noise isolation is at the minimum...

After some burn-in time...I realised these are more meant for acoustics and a bit of jazz. Bass is quite 'weak' (low freqs are channelled from a small speaker on the outside through to the rubber foams...giving a sense of vibrations'), as in felt but not heard. To that effect, it works quite well with something like an acuoustical musical (for example, something from Les Miserables). Isolation isn't all too bad, just slightly above your usual non-in ear phones.

However, at 45 bucks, it is quite overpriced.

I had to thrown mine away after two days of this philips purchase, didn't wanna get pissed off everytime i see it. One of the overpriced & lousy earphone i'd ever bought. hammer.gif when i got it from the rack, it even had the CES 2004 award on it. dry.gif

Hmm...after 5 days of burn-in time...I'd say it couldn't even match up to the stock AT's my Micro came with. Practically no isolation, weak bass and muddied overall sound. But I did like the way the pads made my ears hum when it hit low freqs. lol. biggrin.gif