Sign in to follow this  
lypk

Portable Amp for Earbuds.. n some other questions

I'm new here, so forgive me for asking stupid questions... anyway, i just bought a ATH-CM3 yesterday, and so far, i'm quite happy with the sound, except in the bass... it sounds good enough if i plugged it into my mini hifi, with bass turned up, but on my cd player, its horrible... ok, so my questions are:

1. Will a portable amp boost up the bass for me? + maybe give a better sound quality.

2. Where can i buy portable amps in Singapore? It can't be too powerful cuz it only needs to power my earbud of 16 ohms.. and which one do you recommend? (any below $50... or $100 if that's too low... sorry, i don't know how much amps cost...)

Another question... i found the buds of the CM3 to be a little big for my ears, and when i get a tight fit, my ear will start to hurt after a while, even with sponges on... I saw a 'converter' at Hung Brothers that apparently converts (i think) earbuds to ETYs lookalike canalphones... are they any good??? Or could anyone recommend me a better solution? (except selling away/refunding)

Sorry for asking so much... heehee... and thanks for your replies laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

No experience with the ATH-CM3, or any AT cans for that matter, but will just provide some generic answers.

1. It seems like you prefer a rather bass-heavy sound, which seems to be common with most casual music listeners. From my experience, bass boost from a mini-hifi would cause distortion, and isn't the best way to appreciate bass, IMHO. An amp would help, especially one with a well-implemented bass boost option (usually only on more expensive amps) to suit your preferences, and overall there should be an improvement in sound quality but synergy is important, and some cans benefit more from amping than others.

2. For your budget, I think you can only get DIY amps, which are not necessarily inferior to commercial makes. There's the cmoy and some others which I believe the DIY-ers here can build for you. Decent sound for decent prices. For good commercial portable amps, I think there are few available locally even at a higher price point. You can also consider the PA2V2, but I believe they are only available from overseas, online.

It's important that you audition the amps for yourself to decide if it's worth getting one. Sometimes differences are so subtle, there's not much point in parting with your cash. It might even be better to use the money for a better pair of earbuds.

Good luck.

U can try the supermacro v3 with 4 features switch including a bass boast. or the older model Superdual (discontinued).. size of a matchbox and with bass boast too..

I had intended to recommend Dr. Xin's amps but they seem pretty much above his budget. The Supermacro costs about SG$450 IIRC.

1. It seems like you prefer a rather bass-heavy sound, which seems to be common with most casual music listeners.

Actually i don't like heavy bass.. i need it because the earbuds i've got have an almost non-existent bass... haha... it actually sounds good and not distorted when plugged into my hifi.. anyway, thanks alot laugh.gif Will look into both your suggestions laugh.gif

The AT CM3 earbud's are rather big, and size in my opinion can be a bigger problem than lack of bass. i dun really agree that your portable can't drive them, its just doesn't make any sense.... like u say, its only 16ohms. What i guess the main problem here is the fitting, like listening to ur car stereo with ur doors open.

Maybe the next time u hunt for a set of earphones again, get something smaller or those inner earphones Audio technica just launched, ATH-CK5, Panasonic HJE50, Sony MDR-EX71LP or MDR-EX51LP, inner earphones not ur taste? Sony MDR-E888LP, the all time favourite. party.gif

Erm... i didn't say that my portable can't drive them... just that they don't drive em well enough.. and ya, i agree that the buds are too big... haha... i probably won't hunt for earphones again.. was thinking of a headphone on my next purchase laugh.gif

you shouldnt expect an amp to be a band aid and change the sonic signature like you are expecting. there is only one amp that has significantly changed the sound signature of only one can for me in my headphone career.

i reccomend finding a pair of 'phones that have a sound signature that you preffer rather then finding an amp to fix the sound signature you're experiencing with your current 'phones