Sign in to follow this  
david watt

Shure E2c & Panasonic RP-HJE50 Mini Comparisons

After getting my DT880 & Original Master during the beginning of the year (Thanks to Clarence & Benjamin yeah.gif), i thought that i should get some portable earphones since i spend so much time commuting everyday.

So i have gotten the HJE-50 followed by the E2C later.

The E2 is a true canal-phone while the Panasonics is a "canal-phone" wink.gif

The Panasonics merely sit at the opening at the ear canal while the E2C goes into the ear-canal.

As a side-remark, before i got both these earphones, I am one of those who hesitate

to stuff things into my ear. I mean, doesn't that sound gross?

That is why i bought the Panasonics to try out first. My ear did not resist my putting physical objects into my ear and i soon overcame the psychological barrier smile.gif

Then, when using the Panasonics- isolation not good, microphonics a-plenty, sound too treble-high for me. So, hunt for replacement begins. The natural step up would be the entry level Shure E2C.

For the Portables-Headphones category, things are more interesting in that there are so many more criterias to compare with in contrast with the comparisons for headphones to be used at home.

Soundwise: Well, i am not good at this type of reviewing. Just my opinion, though i think it is obvious that i will say E2C is better. "Of course it is better since it costs more!" tongue.gif

The Panasonics have always sounded shrill. Side by side, the Panasonics sounded muffled and high-pitched even.

Portability: Shure again wins. Why? Panasonics' cables are very prone to noise caused by friction with other bodies. Also, its Y-cale is very long for me on the right side. In contrast, Shure's cables are very much thicker and this cuts down on the noise mentioned above. Also, Shure's implementation of the over the ears idea for the cables is very good indeed- very convenient in that one will not yank out the cables accidentally. Besides, this way of wearing the earphones looks cool! Just remember to use the cable fastener to secure the cables at the back of the head. (Refer to the Shure website if this sounds glibberish cool.gif )

Isolation: No contest again- E2c goes deeper into the ear than the Panasonic. the change in volume needed for the music to remain audible is quite significant for the Panasonics compared to Shure when the MRT goes underground.

Durability: Shure looks more durable with thicker cables and also the jacket at the joints.

Conclusions: So Shure wins every category-bah! No fun! Might as well chuck all these comparisons aside, after all!

Well, so it all boils down to the cost, as i have mentioned earlier. E2C costs nearly thrice that of the Panasonics. Ultimately, it is up to the user to decide whether the design and function superiority of the E2C over the Panasonics is worth the extra dough.

Pictures: Shure on left/ Panasonics on right

P.S. Experts at digital photography pls input some advice on ways to improve my shots, ok?

post-8-1121244286.jpg

Edited by david watt

Filters...For the panasonics there is another medium-sized pair which is attached to the earphones

post-8-1121244347.jpg

Edited by david watt

Pouch for E2C

But really, i can find little use for it since i listen to my earphones everyday, i just don't bother coiling & un-coiling. I just lay the E2C on the table after use & put it on the next day...

post-8-1121244471.jpg

Edited by david watt

Most important thing ever for product shots>>> Use backdrop paper. White or Grey would be perfect. If dun have, mahjong paper also good. Get extra lightnings/lamps and a TRIPOD of cse! biggrin.gif

Hey Thanks for input! I was still editing my post when u popped in!

Ya, i just snapped away using my Compact. Indoor & Outdoor shots are different really!

Personally i find the colours a bit off and dark... BTW these shots have been roughly edited using photo software already.

No photo software is a photo software unless it's ADOBE PHOTOSHOP! LOL.

Btw, what camera are you using and what modes?

Heyhey... i was using Arcsoft Photobase, came with my scanner. Didnt bother to install the software with my camera.

Am using the Canon Ixus. Default mode i guess.

I have no idea what other programs offer, but the only digital imaging/editing software that any professional would use, would be none other than Photoshop. Do you have it? Try it with your pictures. Even the "auto color/level/contrast" modes for beginners are brilliant. But if you want to have absolute control over your shots, manual editing in photoshop is the way to go.

If possible, take the pictures without the filters/programs offered by the camera. Raw mode is better still.

think u need to use macro mode... most of your shots are off-focus

fix the AF zone to the centre

with regards to e2c, how's the difference between the flex sleeves and the newer soft flex sleeves?

Is macro mode the one to take distant shots?

Difference between flex and soft flex sleeves:

Flex is very hard and uncomfortable for me compared to soft flex. When i bought the package, which includes the flex & foam, i also bought, in additional the soft flex. Experimented with all three types and i prefered the soft flex. Looks nicer too!

Soft flex is actually a variant of the rubber sleeves for the Sony/ Panasonic earphones type, only slightly tougher.

Have edited the post to be a mini-comparison.

Added in:

Brief History

Portability

Isolation

Durability

Conclusions

Maybe u guys will want me to add other areas for comparison, pls feel free!

Enjoy!

Edited by david watt