Sign in to follow this  
Fizban

Is A900 better than e5c?

Hi!

I am interested in buying the A900 cans.

I've been using the Shures e5c with my Ipod Mini for the past 4 months.

Are the A90 cans an improvement over the e5cs?

It's an entirely different atmosphere with the A900. I did own the A900 and also have the Shure E5c. I kinda prefer the A900 for home use, the confort, the wider soundstaging and the colored sound.

Though I wouldn't say it's better in sonical improvement, but it's sure fun to have. At least the soundstaging and comfort is an improvement over the shures. Think driving a Jaguar and a SUV. happy.gif

Haha thanks idkfa!

Well i'm looking to have something other than my e5c...not portable, using from my laptop.

What do you recommend?

I'm currently looking at A900, HD555, HD595, Grados SR60, and...haha, as well as Bose Triports, simply cos they look pretty neat and curious about the sound.

Seeing that you're very active in pretty knowledgeable, would you like to advise me?

Hello Fizban!

LOL. happy.gif I'm not so "knowledgeble" lah. I'm probably just like you, just that I am lucky enough to try out new gears oftenly. The shure E5c was my first "audiophile" phone. Perhaps you too? =]

If you are not using them portable, I suggest you get a full size can for the comfort. I assume that you are not using any amps for them.

A900 is the most comfortable of them all in my opinion. The A900 is a super efficient phone and just about perfect for your gaming and laptop. Sound is a bit colored, but warm. Never harsh nor too high for any taste. Low end and the midrange are preety neat and still can be improved with the cotton-modification.

I have also had the Grados SR80 and SR125 on my PC. Excellent phones but they kinda hurt your ears after a while. Not so comfortable and pretty fatiguing after 40mins+ useage. I would say the same for the SR60s.

Senns HD555 and HD595, I am not sure because I am not a great fan of the senns. They go too neutral for me. And those are not the proudest of the senns to own in my opinion. (dun really like the build. LOL)

As for the Bose phones, they are not bad but I am sure others will be quick to put them down. Not very popular in the audiophile scene but trust your own ears I would say. I did listened to them before and I thought they were too expensive.

Of them all, I would first, the Ath A900, then the grados. =]

Hope my insignificant opinion helps.

Rgds,

Where in the world are modest people nowadays?

You seem like the only one left! Insignificant opinion?? Your opinion helped ALOT!

Thanks to you! Haha!

In that case...may have to shell out $273 bucks at blue-tin to get it...you know anywhere cheaper?

perhaps most people own neither phone. E5c is way expensive for casual listener (I'd get them IF I perform on stage professionally).

hahaha.. happy.gif Just one person's opinion.

Anyway, didn't you notice the classifieds a couple of days ago? Wil was selling for $SGD190 or less i think. You missed it by a few days. Btw, I can order one here in tokyo for ard $SGD250 and if you want to, I can get it for you during the next group buy. Let me know then.

Wow...nice person you are idkfa...

razer, i got my e5c from compuplus but since it only ships to the states, i got my friend there to buy for me.

Including shipping to Singapore, it totals to about SGD580.

Anyway, didn't you notice the classifieds a couple of days ago? Wil was selling for $SGD190 or less i think. You missed it by a few days. Btw, I can order one here in tokyo for ard $SGD250 and if you want to, I can get it for you during the next group buy. Let me know then.

Hmmm, that's abt $100 less than local price. Just curious, how much is the A500 there?

I think i'm going to get the Bose Triports for comfort and portability.

Though i'm sure the sound quality pales to others, i pretty much like the way they sound, artificial as they may be.

But cannot find blue ones here though...they claim to only have silver ones

But relatively cheap...$180

Fizban: I thought you wanted something that sounds better than the E5c? You rejected the A0.9k base on that, but now you want a Triport ? unsure.gif

The Ath-A500 costs about SGD$150 if I am not wrong. happy.gif

Thanks! wink.gif Savings go up to quite significant levels when the price of the cans increases...