Sign in to follow this  
nakedtoes

Recomendations for interconnectors..

i am looking for a pair of RCA to RCA interconnectors.. any good RCA plugs and wire recomendation if i want more bass more detail kind of sound ?? biggrin.gif

I don't have audiophile quality expensive cables but I always wondered how much significance I can get from upgrading a $20 cable to a $100 cable. Of cse there's always the psychological effect on expensive things. I will be keeping a watch on this thread. Am interested to find something within my budget to get a significant improvement.

Btw Stereo_Electronics, could you introduce yourself a little before I get confused. Owner, employee etc.. happy.gif

i am looking for budget ones around $50... if not possible any good one that will retain the details will also be good. By the way stereo E u got any recomendation on the expensive one and how much?

nakedtoes nad idkfa,

There's a reason why even after trying several models of mogami cables, Klotz cables, buying silver wire and DIY-ing them based on several recipies etc that I for one still use the Kimber Select series of cables. Even with budget equipment the KS-1030 (at S$1,350 or so) makes a difference. Even when comparing to say a Kimber Silver Streak.

nakedtoes, if you're currently using the generic cable that came with your CDP or sometimes the amplifier (ie the RCA plugs are Red and White/or black plastic). Then a DIY cable from either Klotz or Mogami (I prefer mogami while others prefer Klotz) would offer an overall improvement if the soldering (for termination) is properly done. If not done properly you'll end up with poor joints which will affect sound quality.

If you have between 100 to 200 dollars to spend then try the Kimber PBJ (Atlas Hi-Fi 2nd level Plaza Singapura) at around S$100 per meter (approx price) factory terminated with WBT midline RCA plugs. It's one of the better decent yet cheap cables. The other brand to look out for is Zu cables (music By Design 2nd level Adelphi) Zu Disco or Oxyfuel should be within a S$100 to S$200 budget. Although I havent heard these lower end Zu cable the designer of Zu cable is quite capable. And I intend to do a short review of them (i'll have to ask the person who brings Zu into singapore first and find the time! :-).

Passive components cannot give you more detail or bass, they may allow for more detail/tighter bass to pass thru from source to amp. Think of interconnects as a piece of glass the dirtier that piece of glass the fuzzier the image you see thru that glass. A very clean multicoted priece of glass will allow you to see a truer picture of the image. Sorry that's the best analogy I can think of at short notice.

i am looking for budget ones around $50... if not possible any good one that will retain the details will also be good. By the way stereo E u got any recomendation on the expensive one and how much?

Nothing to recommand you at this point of time, until I'm free to expand the range of our cables in our shop.

I don't have audiophile quality expensive cables but I always wondered how much significance I can get from upgrading a $20 cable to a $100 cable. Of cse there's always the psychological effect on expensive things. I will be keeping a watch on this thread. Am interested to find something within my budget to get a significant improvement.

Btw Stereo_Electronics, could you introduce yourself a little before I get confused. Owner, employee etc.. happy.gif

I represent Stereo for the headphone and earphone dept.

hmm... I guess we posted at around the same time nakedtoes. I didnt see your budget. Anyways with a S$50 budget, your choice is really limited to DIY. Go to LHS in Sim Lim Tower - 2nd level I think or 3rd level. Ask robert to make one for you with the cheapest Neutrik RCA it should be about S$20 - 25 in parts (ie for 2 meters of cable cut to 1m length and for the 4 RCA. Add labour charges and you should have a basic interconnect for under S$50. (Ask about labour charge first).

Of course dont expect too much from the cable cos you'll be using some of the cheapest RCA available and I'm quite certain he wont be using silver solder :-) to do the job. But still since you're on such a tight budget it should be better than the freebie that came with your CDP.

Why is you budget soo tight? S$50 is like the price of 2 regular CDs! Isnt you music collection and your CDP up to it? I mean insted of buying the next 4 CDs and listening to them sounding somwat crappy (thru the freebie cable), isnt it worth the expense of at least S$100 for your music to sound a bit better?

Anyways you might wanna look out for some 2nd hand budget cables in echoloft.

Sorry cant really help you any more with that budget.

After reading the thread i think i would go for this combination... either with the bullet plugs or the Canare plugs. Can i get all this things in LHS?? will they be able to help me terminate them proffessionally??

Klotz GY107 + Neutrik plugs ~ $46 / with bullet plugs ~ $71

nakedtoes,

The Klotz GY107 is IMO, an okay cable if you have a slightly bright sounding system thats a little lean on the bass. IMO the GY107 thens to bloat the bass and smear the highs WHEN COMPARED TO say the Kimbar PBJ. When compared to stock black/red freebie cables it's of course better. I wouldnt spend money on bullet plugs with the GY107 (then again maybe I should have and my views might have been different). Maybe you should try this and report your results back to us. In all we can only give you a rough guide the ultimate test is your own ears. On a final note - if you have a laid back warm sounding system, stay away from the Klotz.Try the Mogami 2893 ( a bit more neutral). IMO it's a truer sounding cable than the GY107 but still not as good overall as the Kimber PBJ.

Edited by Rameish