Sign in to follow this  
lypk

Generation gap..

Got a question.. is it just me or are recordings on older cds badly recorded?? I listened to an Anne Murray cd and a some real old classical cds of mozart, broadway blah blah.. and when i compared em to the newer cds, i always find them crystal clear, it doesn't sound restrained at all.. However, when i listen to the older cds, there's always this feeling that the songs are compressed, there's hardly any soundstaging left anymore.. the songs don't really have a lifelike feel to it.. its defintely not something to do with the headphones or source, cuz this 'phenomenon' only applies when listening to the older cds.. anyone with any ideas care to explain?? thanks alot laugh.gif Or maybe i'm correct about them being badly recorded/mastered?? hammer.gif

You are right on the pop and rock genre as those tend to sound compressed on cd during the 80s to early 90s era. However, I beg to differ with classical genre. This genre tends to carry more dynamics and I feel that most of it released on cds in the same period only tend to suffer on higher background noise level when compared to those in the year 2000.

ic.. i have a beethoven cd from the publishing label "the great composers and their music".. it sounds compressed when i listen to it.. hmm.. is it becuz of the poor mastering by the company?? Anyway, any suggestions on labels of classical cds to look out for? Thanks for the input laugh.gif

Oh..that one.....I recall each disc was included with a magazine about the composer and his music. In the earlier days, the mag actually came with LP. In which case, the recording was none too impressive. EMI, RCA, Philips, Archiv, Deutsche Gramophone, Sony Classics etc are reliable labels.

Edited by Mackie

Thanks alot for the suggestions laugh.gif Will look into the cds by those labels laugh.gif