Sign in to follow this  
evo

recommendation for optical shops?

thinking of buying a new pair of glasses

any recommended shops or brands?

budget about S$100-200

thinking of trying the frameless-type, but those seem to be everywhere nowadays...

are frameless glasses easy to maintain?

i have a titanium frameless with no screws. got 1 time i dropped it, the lens broke into half. my heart also almost broke into half. but the titanium very flexible and durable. so if you want to get and quite a rough guy, u should get good lenses that wont break

i got a set of glass one which i use for 6 years.. i only retire it because of a acratch mark on it.. Drop once lucky nv break... Nowasday want to make glass one most shop dun want to make liaoz. Plastic lens is so easilyy scratch.. My new pair just one week already a deep scratch...

mine was plastic. there are different kind of plastic. i drop it from my height and the curve out part hits the floor directly, it broke. i bought mine from century square 3rd floor or 2th floor.

Ouch! I've been going to Paris Miki(Parco Bugis Junction) for the last 10 years. They do an excellent job, and service is impeccable (They could train the mostly nasty hi-fi and camera salesmen in singapore).

Not cheap, but highly recommended. I've only bought 2 frames during the 10 year period, lenses have been changed more often of course, and I still have both, a micro titan and oakley. High quality stuff lasts.

I concur with av98m, I also go to Paris Miki whenever I can. Although I haven't made any frameless ones from them I do own 3 pairs of frameless spectacles at the moment. None of them has ever broke or had any major scratches on them. Considering that I even sometimes lie down on while wearing them. Besides the relative fragility (depending on the individual) the other thing to look out for is the part of the frame that holds on to the glass/plastic. Some designs are better than others at securing the frame on to the glass/plastic. One of my frameless spectacles is a cheapo unbranded one intentionally bought for home use. It was false economy, it tended to loosen itself over time which was annoying to tighten every so often. I ended up just giving up (put it in the car for backup/emergency pair) & getting a Levis brand (around $100) which had a screwless attachment & that has been going strong for almost a year now. Extremely light & flexible too.

One more thing Paris Miki does right, they do a proper eye exam, with that contraption that allows them to put in different diopters to get your prescription right. their staff are properly trained. Much better than the automated machines/computers used by most places. And they keep customer records too, so like going to your regular clinic they will just pull up your card with your history when you show up.

Edited by av98m

paris miki refuses to let me buy contact lenses for my sister, those disposable ones.. saying that i have to bring her down for an eye examination before they permit the sale of it. my sis have been using the same type of disposable for probably a yr+ or two

quite irritated by the one at suntec. went to another shop nearby and got my purchase almost immediately.

whistling.gifhammer.gif

actually more of a responsibility. they have a licence and name to maintain. what if the contact lens is not really suited for the person and in the worst case become blind?? so it is best to check just in case...

paris miki refuses to let me buy contact lenses for my sister, those disposable ones.. saying that i have to bring her down for an eye examination before they permit the sale of it. my sis have been using the same type of disposable for probably a yr+ or two

quite irritated by the one at suntec. went to another shop nearby and got my purchase almost immediately.

whistling.gifhammer.gif

That's why I say they are good! Their customer care is superb.