Sign in to follow this  
soulmad

Help me choose a second hand CDP !!

hi guys i am new here. i am looking for an old CDP these days but it seems not many shops selling second hand CDP. my friend recommand marantz CD65 or 75 because it has strong integrated amp for headphones. my budget is around 150$. Any other suggestions? Thank you guys!! biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

go to www.echoloft.com and check out the classifieds. Target those that are within your budget and set up an appointment for audition. It's the only way which is correct and true. Talk is cheap and suggestions are very subjective. If you are seeking old cdps, just make sure the laser pickup is still available at service center, otherwise the set will become junk once its pickup dies.

Most Marantz cdps I've come across sport pretty decent headphone-out sound quality so U don't really need to look at dinosaurs.

hi, i also looking for 2nd hand cdp. came across the cd63 and the cd 74. which is better? a noob at these 'non-conventional' cdp. any advices. thanks.

dont get the cd-63..

i've spoken to the guy who repaired my cd63 for the third time, the transport mechanism doesnt last. many people've gone to him for repairs

if working condition $100 is a very decent price.. for the cd74

a transport mechanism replacement costs abt $190 either at wo kee hong or elsewhere..very expensive.... therefore ask the seller how old is the player, how often used, and when testing load a few diff cds to see that it reads.. even my cd63 after repair, at times it doesnt read cd very well halfway during playing

when i look for 2nd hand stuff i go to audio line at the old sembawang shopping centre, and so far i've not seen a marantz at that price of $100 either laugh.gif

denon cd players are the most lasting ones i've ever used.. i've still got a 14yr old denon cd player that works quite well except the tray eject is a bit noisy.

a pretty decent marantz on the market right now is the cd5400 i think.. abt 298.. brand new..

in some other post somewhere, it was shown that the marantz uses 1 4556 opamp for headphone out.. then again.. it might not sound as good as secondary amplification if you are using better headphones or those with higher impedences..

thanks neutral. hmm...maybe will keep a lookout on the transport mechanism. is the transport mechanism used to move the cd tray in and out? if not then what is it used for? why so ex??

then if the transport mechanism cannot repair ownself ah??? btw, where is marantz service? right now i'm considering a 4 year old player, dunno worth it or not? any opinions anyone?

There's always a risk with parts availability if the old cdp were to die on you. You must realise this and also know if the laser pickup is replaceable before commiting on a vintage cdp. If all of these seems vague to you, I suggest you'd better look away and spend the same 150 bucks on a more contemporary player like the CD4000 which were sold in classifieds close to 100 perhaps? However, if you are really game on vintage cdps, look for Philips for they sound far better than Marantz in the same era.

great comments...thanks mackie. i will take note of these points and consider them before buying the 4 year old player.

then in that case can recommend me a player (new) that is under $200 yet has good sound for the price? thanks.

Edited by kross

New cdp costing sub $200 is tough my friend. Even the beginner's model in the Marantz range CD5400 costs $299. I will keep a lookout on other forums and I would highlight to you if a good unit from a trustworthy seller were to emerge.