Sign in to follow this  
N@Z

How do they make those chips???

I was munching to Frito Lay's Stax chips this evening when it popped into my mind, "How do they make these things?" It says on the packaging it's made from 'Dehydrated potatoes' blink.gif

I tried making a search for the information & got info overload! I haven't found anything specifically on how they make it yet. Especially into those perfect little curved oval shapes. I'm really curious now, does anyone know so they can tell me & put me out of my misery! eat.gif

DSC_8570.jpg

Procter & Gamble, for example, uses an SGI system to study the aerodynamics of Pringle's potato chips, Snell said. The chips move along a conveyor belt so fast that they actually take flight. Through aerodynamic modeling, the company can change the shape of the chips and speed up manufacturing.

Super computer for making potato chips. http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9584_22-965191.html

Your brain needs to have the processing power of a super computer before you can understand how to make one!

Dehydrated potatoes? Don't feed them water for a few days lah. biggrin.giflaugh.gif

Pringles is a brand of potato chip or "crisps" snack produced by Procter & Gamble. It was introduced in 1968. According to the patent, it was invented by Alexander Liepa of Montgomery, Ohio, United States, (a suburb of Cincinnati) and comprises "A potato chip product and process wherein a dough is prepared from dehydrated cooked potatoes and water and subsequently fried." The advertising slogan of Pringles is "Once you pop, you can't stop. Prrringles..."

more on wiki

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pringles

Thanks for the info skyskraper. Tried searching on wikipedia which was useful.

Another type of potato chip, notably the Pringles brand, is made by extruding or pressing a dough made from ground potatoes into the familiar potato chip shape before frying.

Hyperbolic paraboloid, now that's a mouthfull! I'll sleep better tonight, hehehe.