Sign in to follow this  
haxyer

LITE DAC-AH

anyone knows  which shop has them for sale ?

Hi,

I think its available only at Sky Audio at Bukit Timah Plaza at $250.

Great non-OS DAC if you ask me. Have one and its quite good.

may i know more about this? whats a DAC? what does it do? how to connect them to the cdp? how much improvement can i get out of it? thanks

Guest Ruach

It is a nice DAC. A bit on the rough or raw side but it is a value for money upgrade.

It has a trimmer pot within and if you are gung ho enough, you can slowly adjust the trimmer pot for the lowest noise and nicest vocals. Factory default does not sound nice.

In an episode of backsideitchynitis, I bought one last week when I was at bukit timah plaza buying cds. tongue.gif

After a 48 hour burn-in(which was done for reliability check), and opening the unit up to ensure that no caps leaked or exploded(Yes, I have phobia of chinese equipment, esp their use of dubious caps). As it turned out all the caps used in the unit are at least recognizable(Sanyo oscons, Sanyo generic, Elna for audio, Phillips etc) I have to say that this is a very nice little DAC. Presentation is rather forward, which should appeal to Grado users, without being harsh. Killer bass slam and speed. However, others have complained that the soundstage is too foward, so YMMV. There is a switch at the back to toggle between coaxial and toslink inputs.

The unit does run rather warm, which has been mentioned in earlier reviews elsewhere. As a precaution, I heatsinked the 8 tda1543 chips as well as the other one whose name I cannot recall. The opamps were left alone because I want them changed out in the future. After an hour of use with the heatsinks in place, I turned off the unit and removed the cover. The heatsinks were HOT to the touch! ohmy.gif And this was with my aircon blasting away! Maybe some air vents should be drilled on the top cover as well.

Those looking for a cheap and good external DAC should really try out the Lite DAC-AH. Two thumbs up! happy.gif

Equipment used:

Rotel RCD991 >Lite DAC-AH>Big Ben Rev 2>Grado RS-1

Music used:

Warriors of Heaven & Earth OST

Alison Krauss and Union Station: Live

Evanescance: Anywhere But Home

Patricia Barber: Live in Paris

F.I.R. : F.I.R

F.I.R. : No Limit

Corrosion of Conformity: Live

Edited by av98m

$250. Cheaper if you get it from the link below though, but after adding shipping you will end up paying about the same.

DAC-AH

Edited by av98m

In an episode of backsideitchynitis, I bought one last week when I was at bukit timah plaza buying cds.  tongue.gif

After a 48 hour burn-in(which was done for reliability check), and opening the unit up to ensure that no caps leaked or exploded(Yes, I have phobia of chinese equipment, esp their use of dubious caps). As it turned out all the caps used in the unit are at least recognizable(Sanyo oscons, Sanyo generic, Elna for audio, Phillips etc) I have to say that this is a very nice little DAC. Presentation is rather forward, which should appeal to Grado users, without being harsh. Killer bass slam and speed. However, others have complained that the soundstage is too foward, so YMMV. There is a switch at the back to toggle between coaxial and toslink inputs.

The unit does run rather warm, which has been mentioned in earlier reviews elsewhere. As a precaution, I heatsinked the 8 tda1543 chips as well as the other one whose name I cannot recall. The opamps were left alone because I want them changed out in the future. After an hour of use with the heatsinks in place, I turned off the unit and removed the cover. The heatsinks were HOT to the touch! ohmy.gif And this was with my aircon blasting away! Maybe some air vents should be drilled on the top cover as well.

Those looking for a cheap and good external DAC should really try out the Lite DAC-AH. Two thumbs up!  happy.gif

Equipment used:

Music used:

Have heard it out when I listened my diva at the shop with the setup of CD63SE->Lite Dac-ah->diva->akg 271 and used all the diva cable/PC. Listened to some female(CaiChin) vocals. Very warm, forward and intimate with close microphone recording.

Edited by Charismatic

In an episode of backsideitchynitis, I bought one last week when I was at bukit timah plaza buying cds. tongue.gif

Those looking for a cheap and good external DAC should really try out the Lite DAC-AH. Two thumbs up! happy.gif

Equipment used:

Music used:

That Bukit timah plaza CD shop..... nice place to shop for cd, small but cosy place. cool.gif Bought a number of oldies from him (usually its him) where he display on the outside of he's stall, some are quite cheap.

Sorry about this off topic conversation. tongue.gif

Have heard it out when I listened my diva at the shop with the setup of CD63SE->Lite Dac-ah->diva->akg 271 and used all the diva cable/PC. Listened to some female(CaiChin) vocals. Very warm, forward and intimate with close microphone recording.

Did you try comparing the modded cd63 with and without the lite dac? If so, which did you prefer?

Have heard it out when I listened my diva at the shop with the setup of CD63SE->Lite Dac-ah->diva->akg 271 and used all the diva cable/PC.  Listened to some female(CaiChin) vocals.  Very warm, forward and intimate with close microphone recording.

Did you try comparing the modded cd63 with and without the lite dac? If so, which did you prefer?

That was two months prior to that when i tried the 'phototype' diva hp amp. It connected directly to the cd63. The Lite Dac Ah wasn't there yet.

My choice? Add the Lite Dac Ah. But do note that it's not a direct A/B comparison as the equipment involved is not similar.