Sign in to follow this  
Charismatic

Mini Feedback on Beyer DT150

Mini Feedback on Beyer DT150

I tried the DT150 laugh.gif as I missed it during the last meet. Listened The Hunter(Jennifier Wearne) and The best of Keiko Lee(Keiko Lee) from the pro-hp amp. Both have vocals of mature ladies, warm and sexy, if your are "mature" enough to know what I mean. tongue.gif . I have their CDs.

I can only say that it's a 'love or hate' cans or 'love and hate' cans, the variations can be broken down as follows:

1. Love it.

2. Hate it.

3. Love some of it and Hate some of it.

4. Hate it and love some of it.

5. Love it and hate some of it.

I'm variation 4.

It very flat and even and soundstage is sufficiently big and one word, neutrality. So neutral that Jennifier Wearne is emotionlessly reciting out the song and Keiko Lee is coarse and cool when she sang "Imagine". mellow.gif

However, I like the way it replays the accompany instruments music, very clean and precise and I think it would replay percussion/instruments music very well.

Maybe neutrality is also a kind of colored sound also. sleep.gif

And a very important thing to note, the feedback is accordingly to my personal listening preference, YMMV.

last time I tried Annie Lennox "Medusa", and based on that I m variation 5....

thanks for your great Mini Feedback

im a happy user.. so im biased n gonna have to say i love it... id rather u guys try it out and experience the magic yourselves. happy.gif

Glad to know that you guys are begining to appreciate the DT150. I've been using it for the past 2 years and I've been favouring DT150 over the DT880, to the point that I sold off my DT880. I was perhaps a bit "extreme".

Maybe neutrality is also a kind of colored sound also.

I do agree with some of your observation in regards to DT150's presentation on vocals. As I've mentioned many a time, not many have heard how a flat frequency response curve (neutralality) really sounds like in the real world. Those who worked in studios and hobbists who meddled with parametric eq and made measurement of their sound room will attest a 3dB attenuation means a lot of changes to sound. In fact, a 0.5dB adjustment is highly discernible in an acoustically treated room.

My point is "neutrality" is not coloration, it's merely the fact which like all things in life, we either face it and love it, or simply shy away from it and hate it. However, sound/music is so personal that no one has claims of what he chooses is right nor wrong. But do remember the role which DT150 is made for ie, sound monitoring. I still believe the music mastered and recorded in studio must be as true to life as possible. Thereafter, consumers reserve the right to build their own sound system and tweak the sound to their liking. Ultimately, where's the benchmark for sound? The answer is simple........hear them live, especially without amplification. Last but no least, shape of our ears and chambers are all unique like fingerprints (those who work in policing agencies or medically trained will know). Therefore, everyone interpret sound very differently.

Personally, I love DT150 for all aspects and especially when monitoring for sonic signatures of a certain equipment or ancillary. However, it's less attractive in voicing as a slight degree of bloom in lower mid range (warmth) is always preferred. This reminds me of the difference between Tara Labs Ref Gen II and Tara Labs Air 3 interconnects....lovely mid range vs extended bass/treble but flatter mid range. Mix the two and you have a compromise but this is best left discussed in another thread.

Edited by Mackie

1,2,3 and 4.

4 replies, 3 loves and 1(gfgfmoses) 0.75 love. ohmy.gif I think I m outnumbered.... biggrin.gif

I just got one more point to add to my mini feedack, neutrality is not used in equal terms with naturality.

I spoke to some of my female colleagues who are in the "mature lady" age group tongue.gif, they aren't established vocalists but they sound natural.

Keiko Lee is coming to SG, maybe it's a good opportunity to hear her out, in real person of course. laugh.gif

Ok, I confess, there's one thing I don't like about the DT150. I absolutely HATE the "pleather" (if that's what it's called) earpads. They are horrible!!!

There's actually another version of the pads for DT150, appropriately termed as BBC version as only the sets sold to them carry these pads, which are much softer, matt and comfortable. These are grey in colour and not black as with the norm.

Edited by Mackie

Nope, not available as far as I can recall. Got hold of it thru my uncle in HK but it happens to be an extra pair lost in his store room. I will check if AA has any means to bring some in.

Edited by Mackie

Dig this up also.

Want to let newer forumers know about this very unique Beyer HP. :yes:

Didn't see this track previously. I bought a pair after reading so much about it from Mackie. Yes, it is a very seriously under-rated can. It looks fugly, it sounds anything but. I burned it in for a good full 5 days as it was too bright brand new.

For listening purposes, I agree with everyone that it can sound too cruel and critical. Yes, even Jennifer Wearnes can sound bad. But with those Chesky audiophile recordings the DT150 sounds sweet. What can I say? GIGO.

However, for music production purposes, this is the best can I've come across. Because of its neutrality plus a bit of presence boost, all flaws become very obvious and can be corrected. That's why it's a studio staple headphone.

Incidentally, for some curious reasons, my audio interfaces and sound modules can't drive my other high impedance cans well, including HD650, DT880, but they are ok with the DT150.

Incidentally, I wonder if anyone has tried the new Beyer Headzone. It comes with the new DT880Pro, modeled after the DT880 2005.