Sign in to follow this  

Inside of Grado RA-1

Just how many things in this world are nearly worth its costs?

Nothing much. But i must say the 2 sources I have, TS Lim CD-67SE and James' EAM 963sa, are very very very very very very very good value for money. biggrin.gif

The Chinese products are actually pretty good, stuff like the Cayin HA-1A. At least I know they cost the same amt as the RA-1 but they have much more stuff inside.

I just received my 5 pcs of Victoria Secrets panties! Woohoos.... US$25 for the goods and US$19 for shipping. I opened it up, alas, a "Made in Sri Lanka" sticker in font 20 size awaited me. wub.gif Wife regretted like mad. Hope she doesn't aim CD, LV or Chanel from now on liao.....

Afterwards see if the $299 DT880 or DT770 got discount or not..... w00t.gif

Haha! Makes you wonder whats really underneath all the techflex in the audio cable market. biggrin.gif

Yup, even for those w/o the thickness, one can still DIY and save quite a bit. Eg, I use vdH D102 Mk III, with decent plugs it's only like 75 bucks a pair.

Just how many things in this world are nearly worth its costs?

The Chinese products are actually pretty good, stuff like the Cayin HA-1A. At least I know they cost the same amt as the RA-1 but they have much more stuff inside.

Ah...but more parts does not equal better sound all the time. I'm sure TS Lim will agree with that statement, after looking at his products and design philosophy. Expensive parts also do not always sound better in any circuit, like when Firefox pulled out many of the stock Blackgates in my Rotel and put in cheaper Sanyo, Panasonic and Elna caps in the power supply sections which really improved things.

I've spent a lot of time(months) with an RA-1 and a Pimeta(with upgraded parts, alps volume pot etc) and quite frankly, I like the RA-1 a little bit more, esp with Grados, but its also a suprisingly good match with the Senn HD600. I also noticed that hardly anyone had anything bad to say about the RA-1 UNTIL the insides were exposed! Then suddenly it sounds like crap! A case of reverse placebo effect? Check out some of the old head-fi threads on this. biggrin.gif

Edited by av98m

av98m,

You are also right here. I know what you are talking about, coz I own both TS Lim and EAM modified products.

Hmm.... I guess I have fallen prey to that "bigger is better" problem again (think firemen hose cables). Curse "high-end" hifi! Brainwashed. tongue.gif

But then if the RA-1 design is really that good, US$100 would be a better price. Then again....!! If it's so cheap then it's not good. Sigh.... Look at Gucci, when they offered $800 lelong sale last year the image immediately dropped.

This world is crazy! ppth.gif

Bang for buck aside...

The RA-1 is a well designed product. The mahogany enclosure provides vibration control, enhancing some of the resonances like a wooden speaker box would.

The capacitors in the outputs also colour the sound. It is all in all designed to give more of the grado sound.

The volume pot could be better though..

The world isn't crazy, it's the people in it that makes it so.

Hmm.... I guess I have fallen prey to that "bigger is better" problem again (think firemen hose cables). Curse "high-end" hifi! Brainwashed. tongue.gif

Just to avoid accusations of pot calling kettle, I'll admit I have a fetish for big capacitors and big, expensive volume pots. When my amp was being recased I was toying with the idea of using 10,000uf caps in the power supply, but sanity prevailed and the original 4700uf caps stayed. biggrin.gif

av98m, 10000uf caps?! those can kill! blink.gifsmoke.gif

av98m, 10000uf caps?! those can kill!  blink.gif  smoke.gif

I had a couple of them put into my previous cd player. Nobody died and the bass improved. biggrin.gif

As far as the expensive volume pots go, there's actually a good reason for them. The good ones present the full details and soundstage at nearly the minimum volume,even with the gain set as low as 3, without any channel imbalance or noise. I love the Noble and Alps Black Beauty pots. Haven't had the chance to try a stepped attenuator just yet. There's this nice looking TKD one I was looking at but it costs more than 400 dollars! Ack! What this means is that unless you listen at very low volume levels, you can save your money. happy.gif

Edited by av98m

Rc 121k

Rd 464k

C1 4.7uF - 5.1uF

C2 0.1uF - 0.12uF

Improvements to the RA-1?

IPB Image

Caps sizes.

IPB Image

IPB Image

Other Opams: Original JRC4556 - JRC2114D - AD826 (no work fine) - OPA2604

IPB Image

JRC4556 - Mylar caps 0,1uF (but with Auricaps is so warn - not work fine for me)) - Auricaps 4,7uF

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image