Sign in to follow this  
jmilo

can anyone suggest a good portable amp for ipod?

can anyone suggest a good portable amp for ipod? and roughly how much it costs? thanks guys! headphone.gif

Xin amp, PA2V2 or govibe. Maybe LD micro? I'm eyeing the govibe. tongue.gif

Xin amp, PA2V2 or govibe. Maybe LD micro? I'm eyeing the govibe. tongue.gif

where can i get these and around how much?

LD micro you can go to www.erji.net and click on the DIY mai chang. then find the xiao bu dian thread and PM the seller. I think should cost less than $100 sgd. I think should be the cheapest.

pa2v2 can find on ebay. ebay adverts have link to seller website, and you can buy straight from there as well.

govide i'm not so sure

xin amp you can find on www.fixup.net. but very expensive, unless you're damn rich i wouldn't recommend.

you can also consider the portaphile 2^2.

as most of these are western amps you can find more info and 2nd hand goods at headfi.org.

sound wise i've heard the pa2v2 and xin supermacro, but too short for a proper impression. I would say considering the price differential, I thought the pa2v2 was def more worth it. These amps can cost you alot more just for a slightly better sound. you can also consider asking someone to DIY for you. best bang for the buck if you get a good maker.

Edit: slightly better is just IMHO. to others it could well be an indispensible improvement.

Edited by hansel_ng

well im using a 5g ipod and westone um2...which among the available portable amps would you guys recommend?

well im using a 5g ipod and westone um2...which among the available portable amps would you guys recommend?

UM2 no need amp la. Read that the sound will not improve much. My UM1 amped with PA2V2 dun sound much different. Westones are very efficent. But here are the links in case you die die must amp:

go-vibe - I'm eyeing this, if u wanna order, maybe we can do it together. US$69 without shipping plus optional op-amps.

PA2V2 - Gary is very nice person, can buy direct from site. 1 of the best design cos using 2XAA and can charge them without removing the batts. Approx US$54 includ shipping but without adapter.

LD Micro - No experience with them. But looks good. Look here

Xin Amps - His amp very ex but the Macro looks nice and the Mini and Micro is super small.

Edited by afbug

thanks for the info...geez...UM2s don't really need an amp? just making sure that if i amped the um2 with my ipod 5g, SQ will improve...

thanks for the info...geez...UM2s don't really need an amp? just making sure that if i amped the um2 with my ipod 5g, SQ will improve...

Most earphones, when amped, will improve but its just that some only improve only that wee little bit. Earphones like E4, ER4S will improve a lot when amped. ER6i amped with PA2V2 will improve its bass. My Cresyn also had its bass boost when paired with PA2V2. Headphones tend to benifit more with an amp.

But no one is stopping you if you wanna amp your westones! headphone.gif Buy one la....your wallet need to diet liao. yeah.gif IF you really want, i think a govibe will suit your requirements more as 5GiPod is said to have improved bass and UM2 have quite strong bass. A PA2V2 will further enhance the bass which will prob too much. Govibe is said to improve resolution and soundstage. Do a search at headfi on these amps and you will get all the info you need.

Edited by afbug

Most earphones, when amped, will improve but its just that some only improve only that wee little bit. Earphones like E4, ER4S will improve a lot when amped. ER6i amped with PA2V2 will improve its bass. My Cresyn also had its bass boost when paired with PA2V2. Headphones tend to benifit more with an amp.

But no one is stopping you if you wanna amp your westones! headphone.gif Buy one la....your wallet need to diet liao. yeah.gif IF you really want, i think a govibe will suit your requirements more as 5GiPod is said to have improved bass and UM2 have quite strong bass. A PA2V2 will further enhance the bass which will prob too much. Govibe is said to improve resolution and soundstage. Do a search at headfi on these amps and you will get all the info you need.

whats ur portable rig setup?

i'm on the G5 ipod + an E4 coming, what would u recommend for an amp?

whats ur portable rig setup?

i'm on the G5 ipod + an E4 coming, what would u recommend for an amp?

No idea bout 5G ipods but normally 4G users at headfi pair their E4 with a PA2V2 or govibe. You should ask around at headfi cos more people there.

My experience with the UM2s suggest that a good amp brings worthwhile improvements to the sound.

As the UM2s are rather warm sounding compared to Ety 4P/S and Shure E4, I have always found them to be a little lacking in the highs. A portable amp that is slightly more forward works great for me in creating a better balance.

Amps in this category would include the Portaphile V2 and the RSA Hornet. The PAVV2 is too warm sounding and the standard gain is too high, causing hiss.

The real question to be asked is whether the costs of the amp, line out dock (a must IMO for the IPOD) and decent mini-mini are worth the improvements in sound?

Do remember that the law of diminishing returns quickly sets in - $$$$.

Edited by tbln

the law of diminishing returns

This is the phrase that I want to find out for a long long time. " law of diminishing returns" Pretty cool sounding. Thanks pat. biggrin.gif

yup...thats the right way to say it... biggrin.gif

well...i just ordered a xin super-mini3, as the hornet is really out of my league in terms of budget...hehehe...and just purchased a sendstation pocket dock and a mini-mini cable (rnb black diamond)...hope this would greatly help my "hungry" ears... headphone.gif