quick01

I’m considering buying a headphone amp but need

I’m currently powering my Senn 580’s with a H/K AVR-525 for SACD/DVD-A/redbook listening. I also use them for late night PC gaming and I plug them into my Klipsch ProMedia 4.1 setup. I would love to be able to buy the Headwise HeadRoom Desktop Amp(dual RCA’s inputs), but at $600, it’s out of my budget. It was suggested I buy the HeadRoom Micro Amp with the “Desktop module†instead. At $300, this is much closer to my budget. I was told they both use the same power supply but of course I’d be losing the dual RCA inputs. Would I lose anything, "Audio-Wise" for SACD/DVD-A listening, by going from a RCA pre-amp out on my receiver to a mini 3.5mm stereo input connection to the HeadRoom Micro amp? Portability is not an issue. The Gilmore Lite unit doesn't have any gain control or crossfeed options. Any other amp recommendations in the $300 price range?

Edited by quick01

Try a second hand Corda - better IMO then a headroom amp for Senn HD-580. If you had a Grado it'll be the other way around.

Yes adding more links to the hi-fi chain would degrade the sound even if using the S$2070 Kimber select KS-1030! Best to connect source direct to amp then to headphone.

Gilmores are not my cup of tea - they remind me of Krell amps (for speakers) - great if you like the sound signature but I'm more of a Burmester kinda guy. All the dynamics without the top end glare.

Of course if you gave me a Krell I'll gratefully accept it. Probably sell it and get a Burmester LOL

I guess I like greman amplification :-)

Cheers

Rameish

My fault, I wasn’t clear. I meant, would I lose anything by using a 3.5mm mini stereo connection to the headphone amp, instead of standard RCA’s. Hmmm….never considered connecting my Denon DVD-2900 directly to the headphone amp.

I'm a headphone rookie and not familiar with Corda. So a used one can be had for around $300?

hey quick01, would you consider joining our bulk order for a tube amp? currently we have about 6 malaysian buyers who are in for the bulk, but we need up to 10 ppl in order to cut down the freight cost and get the bulk discount. if we managed to get 10 ppl, each will cost only RM600. biggrin.gif if not, some of us will still go on without the discount price, which will cost exactly RM900 or slightly less. please check out our bulk link tongue.gifLittle-tube III amp bulk

Edited by metsatsu

metsatsu: I'm really not ready to pull the trigger. I'm the kind of person that does a lot of research before a purchase. But, just out of curiosity, RM900 = what in U.S. dollars?

Edited by quick01

If you have nothing against Chinese equipment, then maybe you'd like to try headphone amps by Bada. I popped by X-Audio at Bukit Timah Plaza last night and they had a couple of them. One of them also doubles up as an integrated amp for driving speakers(it did a great job of driving a pair of Usher bookshelves). They're around $250 to $300, I believe.

metsatsu:  I'm really not ready to pull the trigger.  I'm the kind of person that does a lot of research before a purchase.  But, just out of curiosity, RM900 = what in U.S. dollars?

hey, thanks for showing at least a little bit of interest. biggrin.gif little dot 3 was just released about 2 weeks ago. as the name implies, there were LD1 and LD2 as its predecessors wink.gif . LD1 wasn't that as great reported and reviewed by many users (though some said it works great anyway), however LD2 has received more positive feedbacks than LD1. so yah, i can understand that u r not willing to bite the bullet yet, but currently we are the few ppl of the bulk who would like to be the 1st few to try it out, and we all believe that LD3 will not dissapoint us cool.gif . what u can do at this stage is to do some research about LD2 on the net, or can just simply check out their website Little Tube. anyway take your time to think about it. smile.gif

Edited by metsatsu