Sign in to follow this  
AhDU

Beyer DTX900 or Grado SR-60

Can anyone help. I am looking for headphone that is low in impedence so that can be driven by my MP3 or portable CD player while I am oversea. Budget <S$200. I listen to New Age, Vocal, Jazz, Classical & some pop. The Senn HD545 Ref sound airy with good soundstage but its high impedence does not go well un-amp with my portable CD player.

Stay clear of this forum if you wanna get Beyer DTX series. tongue.gif

However, I would rather prefer U to hang around this forum and look at all other options such as Grado, Audio Technica and Senn within your budget.

Edited by Mackie

mackie, share what's wrong with the Beyer DTX series? Must learn from the gurus.

DTX series are not anything like the usual Beyer construction and sound quality. However, it does offer an alternative to general consumers who are less into high fidelity. Those who hang out in hifi forums need not apply, if you get my drift.

DTX series are not anything like the usual Beyer construction and sound quality. However, it does offer an alternative to general consumers who are less into high fidelity. Those who hang out in hifi forums need not apply, if you get my drift.

Wah, so bad as that... blink.gif I bought a sport Beyer headphones ($39 from Anything Audio) which didn't sound so bad for the price. Of course it sounded coloured compare to better phones especially the treble. But it stayed in the ear when I exercise and it doesn't need sponge covers. The sponge covers makes my ear itchy. Most ear buds won't stay in my ear without the sponge covers.

Hi Mackie, how about Beyer DT860 or Sennheiser HD595 , I understand these are rated at 32ohms & 50 ohms respectively, but whether easily driven by portable device is not sure. Anyone can tell me how much are these cans selling and where to get?

Mackie, happen to know you also own Philips HP890, other than Senn HD545 Ref, I also own this HP890, I found the mid-high not so natural, and the sound stage quite narrow. I bought this because I though it should be easily driven (I was right). Now using it mostly for watch TV/DVD.

Hi Mackie, how about Beyer DT860 or Sennheiser HD595 , I understand these are rated at 32ohms & 50 ohms respectively, but whether easily driven by portable device is not sure. Anyone can tell me how much are these cans selling and where to get?

Please click the enclosed link for review on DT860.

http://www.sgheadphones.net/index.php?show...c=2147&hl=dt660

I have no experience with Senn HD595 and hence, no comment. However, I'm pretty sure impedance of 32/50ohms are pretty easy to drive by any portable source, so no worries.

Anything Audio, 4th floor Parklane Shopping Mall, carries the entire range of Beyer cans and mics.

Mackie, happen to know you also own Philips HP890, other than Senn HD545 Ref, I also own this HP890, I found the mid-high not so natural, and the sound stage quite narrow. I bought this because I though it should be easily driven (I was right). Now using it mostly for watch TV/DVD.

HP890 works on closed back design, thus, providing maximum isolation from ambient noise but at the expense of narrower soundstaging. Open design excels in the latter but with compromise in bass volume and isolation.