Sign in to follow this  
watchthewaves

Views on DT990pro & HD595 please

Hi,

Been lurking around for a while to learn a bit before asking any questions. Need advice on what cans to get.

Usage would music over a rather wide spectrum -- mainly jazz and vocals, but would include blues, pop and some classical too. Would also be used for some DVD movies. Personal preference is for accuracy, and it should get me tapping my feet. There must be good bass definition too -- I generally do not listen at high volumes, so need to take into account the Fletcher-Munson effect. The cans will be connected to the Benchmark DAC1.

From my research, I am considering the DT990pro and HD595. Have tried the DT990pro briefly. I like what I hear (eg the bass is better defined than the DT860). But because I have no prior experience with cans, I don't know whether in the $200-400 price point there is something out there that might be more suitable for me.

Would appreciate views on both these cans, especially if you have had the chance to compare them. Other suggestions would be welcome too.

Also, where can I go to try them side-by-side? Hung Bros? Will they let me hook up my Benchmark?

Thanks.

I find that the quality of demo sources and demo amps at Hung Brothers leaves much to be desired. It even makes the Senn HD650 sound like crap ;-)

A better place to test the HD595 would be AVOne at Adelphi, where you have access to Marantz SACD players.

A better place to test the HD595 would be AVOne at Adelphi, where you have access to Marantz SACD players.

Just need info on which shop has these 2 headphones. Anyone?

Just need a digital coax out and a power outlet -- and of course a place that will let me plug my Benchmark in. That will limit the effect of their source to just transport work only. Need to find a place with both those headphones tho, that's the problem.

As for AVOne, I presume they allow their existing customers to test only. Fella there said they can order for me if I want, but even if they had it in the shop, they don't allow listening unless I confirm want it. I can never understand such a statement. If I am sure I want it, why the heck do I still need to try it out? Duhh!! Obviously not interested in my business.

Usage would music over a rather wide spectrum -- mainly jazz and vocals, but would include blues, pop and some classical too. Would also be used for some DVD movies. Personal preference is for accuracy, and it should get me tapping my feet. There must be good bass definition too -- I generally do not listen at high volumes, so need to take into account the Fletcher-Munson effect. The cans will be connected to the Benchmark DAC1.

U've have already homed in on the choice I'd have made amongst the Beyer range ie. DT990 (Pro or no pro, they're the same except for the colour of steel frame). DT150 and DT250 might have been contenders too but being closed-back designs, they might not bode well for classical genre (narrower soundstaging).

Senn HD600 is also recommended but it won't be available at S$400 unless on sale (keep your fingers crossed?)

I'll leave the others to contribute on Audio Technica and AKG as I'm not too familar with their products.

Thanks Mackie.

I have not heard the DT880, so will be waiting to hear the new ones when they come in. Now with the DT990 being the top of the line, wonder how different it will be from the present DT990.

Yes, the fellas at Benchmark have been testing with the HD600/650 and do recommend that, but I need to find a place that carries both Beyer and Senn. Any suggestions?