Sign in to follow this  
Edwin

Where can I get these vacuum tubes?

Would like to get some information on where can I purchase these tubes from, or do I have to source from overseas?

If it's possible to buy locally, how much would each model cost?

Anyone can share this information, especially from those who are into tube amps?

Thanks in advance for sharing... happy.gif

Edited by Edwin

e88cc = 6922 exact replacement, except e88cc is the european code

can get from martin electronics at burlington square, new tubes, for example electroharmonix 6922 will be abt 12 dollars, gold pins EH 6922 probably 25 bucks if i didnt remember wrongly, if you into NOS tubes, get from well audio lab beside martin...tesla abt 30+, brimar abt 65, mullard cv2492 abt 80, 2493 abt 110, siemens abt 65 a piece, telefunken abt 150-200 a piece etc

all gotch diff sound.... i used to roll tubes at one per channel so can contrast

the brimars are warmer and airier, if you are into pure vocal mids you could try a EH gold pins as pre-tube, and brimars as power/output, i've tested and vocals were very good

mullard 2492, 2493 not much audible difference, but 2493 seems much "quieter" than the 2492, a little more laidback sounding, rather musical, but bass's a lil wet. highs are tamed.

siemens are pretty nice as well, some what an intermediate between mullards and brimar, and very popular for their musicality. smooth highs as well.

these are the only few i've rolled.. you could check out other users here who've tried the telefunkens, but from other pple's comments, the telefunken is either a tube you like or you dont. much more transparent sounding than other toobs..

6dj8 is ecc88, often used in replacement of 6922. 7308, or e188cc can also be used.

if you are into NOS tubes, heady in these forums have quite a few good tubes up for sale.. much to my interest but i lack the budget to get them for rolling right now smile.gif

Edited by neutralzz

Hehe...

Was always thinking of getting a tube amp, chanced upon the MJ on digi01's website. I was able to stop him on time, from building the Zen and changed the order to the EarMax clone. Managed to "migrate" all my requirements for the Zen onto the MJ too...

Upon recommendations from digi01, the MJ that he will build would arrive without tubes as they would add on into the shipping costs and also I wanted to try some western NOS tubes.

Was that a good idea to swap the Zen for a MJ and shipped the amp over tubeless?

for headphones the worst would be sharp highs.. i m very high sensitive

you could try :

mullard cv2492/cv2493 as input, brimars or siemens e88cc as output.

very warm combination. else you could use all mullards, but wont be as airy as the brimars, bass wont be as clean.

i like the mullard on the input more than having a siemens or a brimar on the input. the voice of cai qin or the greatest basso is distinctly different. smoother and richer.

the e-harmonix gold pins 6922 is not bad a tube, but vocals a little sibilant and slightly thinner.

you can also ask headphonecrazy for his opinions, he've rolled other tubes, sylvania, j&j etc

the telefunken is a like/dont like sort of tube, more of a personal preference. i've heard them in an audio research pre-amp stage, preferred the mullard sound

if you can get them for 60 a piece used that would be quite nice, as they go for abt 200 bucks per piece unused NOS.

Thanks for all the advice guys. happy.gif

How reliable are used tubes? Average how much life is left in them?

Idea of used tubes is not bad, esp save me the process of burning in. tongue.gif

Was initially thinking of starting of with teslas, but after much researching, decided to narrow down to either TFK, Siemens, Mullards or Amperex...Should have about $250 budget for a set of 3 or 4 tubes.

neutralzz, how would you describe the sound signature of TFK tubes?

huangyong, read your previous thread on the MJ, is it really better with a rectifier tube?

TFK are known to be very transparent tubes and very quiet in operation, that was all i noticed cuz i wasnt able to do a left right channel comparison with diff tubes. didnt find them as musical as the mullards.

no idea abt amperexes, couldnt get my hands on a decent pair for a decent price.

if you are using them as pre-amping tubes no worries i guess, can last 6k+ hours or more..for used.

as long as the getter isnt vaporized or disappearing

Transparent = neutral?

will be using the 3 tubes in the MJ as pre-amping tubes, thus 6k+ hours is not too bad... Especially if 1 day can clock 3 hours, still can last 2k+ days ohmy.gif

for MJ ... hmmm.. frankly, i never use tube rectification before.. not sure tongue.gif but i m going to try.

Wah... when u trying? Can let me know the results?

Did some reading, learnt that tube recification tends to soften to the bass, which is closer to the tube amps from the older days...

Think will stick to the SS for the time being, cos never tried older tube amps... Not sure will like them or not. happy.gif