Sign in to follow this  
papaya86

totally disgusted with my headphone setup

I went over to my friend's place to listen to his speakers for an extended period of time, and am now totally disgusted with my own headphone setup.

http://www.genesisloudspeakers.com/prd_1p1.html

this were the speakers that did the job, paired with a dac 1, a mark levinson player and tons of other alien looking gadgets in a sound proof room. the speakers are giantic, standing at around, or over 2m tall.

this setup kills anything i have ever heard anywhere, be it hifi show rooms or friends setups. Gigantic bass, crystal clear vocals, super huge soundstage, unbelievable highs, it was as though the musicians were playing right infront of me. total cost of his setup as quoted from him is 400k.

i am seriously considering letting go of my entire setup as its extremely disheartening to listen to anything right now.

anyone of u guys experienced something similar?

Edited by papaya86

Spend the next week listening to boomboxes and computer speakers.

Then after that, your system will sound just fine. Really. biggrin.gif

For 400K, I can bring in the "band" to play live for me biggrin.gif.

happy.gif

laugh.gif

Seriously, I'm sure sonic bliss can be purchased for far less than 400k. If not, we're all screwed.

Nice, can I go and have a listen too? tongue.gif

Here are what i think are good alternatives from easiest to most difficult.

Audio Artistry Beethoven loudspeakers used (sound scape hifi) ~$16k

http://www.soundscapehifi.com/used_items.htm#aabeethoven

Stax headphones (and accompanying amp) $1k and up

Linkwitz Orion Dipole loudspeaker system ~$2.5k (Amplification is another $6-800 at least)

http://www.linkwitzlab.com/orion_us.htm

I also thought of the costs of a DIY speaker inspired by the Genesis 1.1, about $8k. (Amplification is another $2k at least)

Prices does not include a source & pre-amp. For the last 2 items, the price refers to the raw parts costs. Room treatment plays a big part too, that'll be ~$2k if u diy everything.

Seriously, I really do like to go listen thou, are you planning to go back anytime soon? tongue.gif

Chris

Edited by fishball79

u guys serious in dropping down? i can ask him bout this, he operates his home as a shop too, selling audiophile records and cds, he has one hell of a collection, but they dont come cheap, at all.

hahahah, his cds aint cheap, mostly from 60-500, but got some non audiophile ones around 20. I got one from him that has a killer interpretation of erik saties gymnopedie 1, kobialka - fragrances of a dream for 25, mayb u guys might wanna ask him to demo that. tell me when u guys are free and ill try to arrange? there are some classical tracks that totally blew me away, all the while i only heard bass, but for his setup, i felt bass, my shirt was vibrating, many areas of the room were vibrating, not a very well done room as theres lots of junk (expensive junk) around.

i would say its bass that reaches to the soul. he played a very grand and victorious wake up classical track at 7am in the morning as all of us were very tired. That totally slapped me to my senses with its highs and bass, machiam cannons shooting. And regarding the "400k to hire a band to play for u", he has a few ten thousand "bands" on audiophile cds and vinyls that can play for him, lolz. He played me amused to death by roger waters, and on track 8, there were 2 special effects - a fella chopping wood, a horse carriage that came in from a faraway left side and slowly approaching the listener sweeping across to the right before exiting to the extreme right field, my that effect left me speechless. It was as though a person was really chopping wood right infront of me and a horse carriage really rode pass

had a reply from him sayin that auditions are not possible currently as he had thiefs/dishonest "customers" in his place before who stole quite some rare cds, even if its possible, it will be a one by one drop by to his place

had a reply from him sayin that auditions are not possible currently as he had thiefs/dishonest "customers" in his place before who stole quite some rare cds, even if its possible, it will be a one by one drop by to his place

Ah, sad to say that there are quite a number of cheats/conmen in this hobby. sleep.gif