Sign in to follow this  
heady

Crazy Koss mod

Some of you reading the "Portable" section may have heard of my weird ears which no tips except foam seem to fit. But I hate foam as it makes my ear itch.

Bought some tri-flange tips from afbug and following his instruction to attached the tips to the Koss, got seal with the tip only I insert the tip very deep into ear. And when I remove the phones, the driver separated from the tip. I had to dig the tip out, no fun.

After some thought, I tried this mod. I inserted the conical foam tips onto the black tube, compressed the foam and place the tri-flange tip on top of the foam. The black tube need to be inserted onto a small screwdriver to do this.

Now I can get good seal without the tips coming out and if they do, I just grip the foam. No more itchy ear and easy to insert and take-out.

PS - I mod the tri-flange as per afbug's instruction and cut off the smallest flange, making it a bi-flange.

KossMod_small.jpg

Edited by heady

Reprise of mod -

I also bought a ATH-CK7 when initially I couldn't get the tri-flange to work with the Koss. Well, the ATH-CK7 sleeves could not seal in my ears either. My ears are weird like I said.

Applying the mod for the Koss above, I cut out the spare foam tips from the Koss and placed them behind the rubber sleeve and now the CK7 seals in my ears and I got BASS!

ck7Mod_small.jpg

ck7Mod_small.jpg

Wah innovative! Glad you managed to find a suitable mod and fit. When you tell me you insert the foam into the triflange, i blur sia. laugh.gif

Here's what i've tried before. It doesn't widen the tip but make it stiffer and add a layer. Isolation improved but more uncomfortable cos the tip is stiffer. That stuff is a cut off top part of a ER6i standard beige foam.

user posted image

*looks at the modded CK7*

*blinks for a bit*

Wah, those're some huge sealing blink.gif

Glad you managed to get the proper seal out for your CK7 so they're pumpig out the bass for ya.

How do you like them so far? =)

Without the bass, it was so clinical. Now, I found the bass has changed the balance, so I need to listen more before I can say much about it. biggrin.gif