wenjia

AKG K701 vs Sen HD650

normally I do not listen human voice except Josh Groban.

90% of the time is new age music like secret garden, Piano (not so classic ones).

so i wonder which one the AKG K701 or the HD650 is suitable for me?

thanks

new age music u need good sounstage, try dt880 as well

I've just tried the DT990 and it blows the DT880 away in terms of sound staging, clarity and bass extension. Try it yourself at AA.

Edited by heady

I see that no one here is answering his question. He's asking about the K701 and the HD650. For me, I would prefer the K701 because of the more expansive headstage and brilliant highs that makes it sound very well with the HD650. Also, as a personal preference, the more upfront sounding K701 seems to be better suited to Newage Music of your genre.

I see that no one here is answering his question. He's asking about the K701 and the HD650. For me, I would prefer the K701 because of the more expansive headstage and brilliant highs that makes it sound very well with the HD650. Also, as a personal preference, the more upfront sounding K701 seems to be better suited to Newage Music of your genre.

thanks razer. now i know the answer. biggrin.gif

wenjia, now you have Razer's view, the next thing you need to do a demo. Trust only your own ear, YOU're the one who is going to listen to your own favourite tracks, be it on HD650 or K701 or etc. Make a trip to stereo E or Anything audio, unless you're not residing here. Then you'll know the REAL answer.Demo is all within reach and FOC, go for it! wink.gif

wenjia, now you have Razer's view, the next thing you need to do a demo. Trust only your own ear, YOU're the one who is going to listen to your own favourite tracks, be it on HD650 or K701 or etc. Make a trip to stereo E or Anything audio, unless you're not residing here. Then you'll know the REAL answer.Demo is all within reach and FOC, go for it! wink.gif

Couldn't agree more to that!

Anything Audio is at 3rd level, Parklane Shopping Mall, Selegie Road, right in front of the escalator. You should call Albert before going down, as he may be out. I don't have his number right now but some other member may be able to give you the number.

Albert's no. is 97543050. Incidentally I will be at AA after work around 4.pm today (Apr 24, Mon) to collect the DT990 for review and of course, usual chit chat. FWIW, I dig New Age genre as well and since there's a need for opinions between AKG701 and HD650 (I own this), I shall also audition the former at AA as well.

Edited by Mackie

I'm currently at AA testing HD650 and K701. Herewith are my preliminary findings:

First off, the AKG is harder to drive with its lower sensitivity. For instance, volume pot of the shop's headamp has to be turned up to 12 o'clock relative to 10 o'clock for HD650 to achieve an equivalent spl (loudness in layman's term). The K701 tends to sound flat at lower than average volume setting with a notable rolloff in treble region whereas HD650 sounds bigger in presentation owing to its bigger bass thump and more forward midrange. Treble of HD650 is also more alive than the K701 at this reference volume setting - 10 o'clock with HD650; 12 o'clock with K701.

However, the tables are turned when the reference volume setting is upped to average and above - 12 o'clock with HD650; 2 o'clock with K701. Bass of HD650 sounds rather overwhelming whilest midrange is too forward for my comfort. In contrast, K701 came to live with a very even spread across bass to upper midrange whilest treble regions are now more noticeable and in fact, very alluring and free of sibilance, which also results in greater airiness and wider soundstaging. Bass weight and impact is just nice, full and musical.

Finally, one aspect is obvious and that is the K701 sounding more open than HD650 from the onset, no matter what volume seting. AA quoted S$600 for both the concerned headphones. Herewith is my conclusion, if you tend to listen to your music at low level, you might choose HD650 over K701. This also applies if you listen to genre which showcasts bass. On the contrary, if you like your music in average to loud volume level, the K701 yields better in terms of neutrality and soundstaging width. It's simply more soothing to my ears than the HD650 which has a tendency to overwhelm/shout in the bass to midrange region.

Chow: In your case, I prefer K701 overf HD650 in the area of piano presentation.

Edited by Mackie