Sign in to follow this  
erwin

What do you think of PC as source?

Been trying my ATH-AD900 with a variety of sources and still find that the best 'out of the head' experience comes from my PC soundcard (X-Fi Plat) with CMSS-3D enabled. It feel it sounds better than my tube pre-amp with it's own headroom headphone circuit.

What do you guys think of PC as source?

use PC's equalizer/any sound enhancing program > digital output to standalone DAC > headamp > headphone.. that would be good.

Just let your ears decide. If it sounds good to you and you're happy, stick to it. This is a hobby and like any othe hobbies, it must entertain you. Audiophilia is not about conformity with the majority. However, I'm sure the day will come when you ears become more discerning and picky, thus, driving the need for an upgrade to cdp-amp based systems. In the meantime, enjoy your music.

Edited by Mackie

you mentioned your tube preamp. what source is that connected to?

Source was my Squeezebox 3 as I now longer use my CD players now.

Huangyong has a good point about using a standalone DAC. I presume that the digital output of my soundcard is also 'CMSS-3D' processed.... i shall try it with a couple of DACs i have access to.

Hi Erwin,

The SB3 can really surprise you when you use the digital output to feed a DAC. The SB3 easily bettered a Pioneer PD-S904 (old stable platter model) used as transport when fed into a Lite DAC-AH.