Sign in to follow this  
chow

New to headphones

hi guys i am new to headphones.

what are the basic equipments i would need? Just having the 4 is enough right?

- CDP - not sure which player is good, after running through the articles seems the lens / transport are easily spolit. Any good or reliable model recommended? especially to drive tht D990 and also in future for speakers if i need.

- Headphones - the beyer seems nice esp the DT990, any1 knows the price?

- Amps - no sure

- power cord - not sure what to get

what are impedence? i see those amps u all have like those rackmount casing use in server, u all put ur equipments in racks? any pics to show, looks cool

You will also need interconnects to connect your source(CDP) to your amp. It helps in making recommendations if you specify your budget.

i am also looking at D150, how much different is the consumer products compare to professional products in the same series. the beyer website list it for studio or broadcasting uses. not sure how it compare as a headphones for music

i am also looking at D150, how much different is the consumer products compare to professional products in the same series. the beyer website list it for studio or broadcasting uses. not sure how it compare as a headphones for music

I think you should find time to go down to Anything Audio and try the DT990 and the DT150. Their prices are about $100 difference I think.

Anything Audio is at 3rd level, Parklane Shopping Mall, Selegie Rd. Walking distance from Dhoby Ghaut. Look for Albert but call first. He is one man show and may be delivering. AA has the widest collection of Beyer phones for demo.

Note that at the moment, his shop has no signboard. But you can't miss it, it is right in front of the escalator. Albert is a friendly guy.

thanks any comments on whelter the consumer or professional series are better?

not sure shall i get the 32 ohms, 80ohms or 250s, what cdp and amps conplements the setup?

I can only recommend you listen to the DT150 and the DT990, they are different, one with closed, the other with open back design. It will depend on your taste, music preference and where you are going to wear the phones.

I go for DIY amps b'cos I believe they are much better than the commercial ones I can afford. And I don't believe in cables that much, so I will leave it to others with more knowledge to advise you on these two items.

- CDP - not sure which player is good, after running through the articles seems the lens / transport are easily spolit. Any good or reliable model recommended? especially to drive tht D990 and also in future for speakers if i need.

I don't know what articles you have been reading but lens/transport do not fail as easily as you anticipated. However, a len change may be in order after a few years of regular usage. There's a lifespan for anything. Start with a Marantz cd player from the lowly CD5400 to higher models. Marantz usually has a decent headphone circuitry which will give you time to enjoy your headphones until such time you are ready to commit in a headphone amp.

- Headphones - the beyer seems nice esp the DT990, any1 knows the price?

Albert at AA told me retail price is $499. Check directly with him. AA is situated on 3rd floor of Parklane Shopping Mall (directly in front of ascending escalator). Call him at 97543050 before visit.

- Amps - no sure

Depending on budget, you can't go wrong with Original Master or XiangSheng 708A/B, both costing around S$250. Look out for other suggestions from fellow forumers too.

- power cord - not sure what to get

Do not dwell in aftermarket power cord if you are still a novice. Even some experience hobbists don't believe in sonic changes by power cords. Look at inteconnects instead but this will come later until you have settled on the choice of cdp, head amp and headphones. Start the ball rolling by narrowing down on cdp and headphones for now.

Audition all the Beyer models at Anything Audio as they have a professional headphone amp with multiple outputs from a single source to give you a reference point. You wanna hear the characteristics of the cans and not a system ie. different cans driven by the same source and amp.