Sign in to follow this  
Username

G-Pads for Grados

This is what happens when you have too much time, a piece of yellow cardboard a pair of scissors, a penknife, blu-tack and DT250 pads

I present to you Grado G-Pads... G for GHETTO

Knowing that a C-pad cost around US$99 per pair and G-pads cost practically next to nothing... laugh.gif COMFY mmmm...

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

Edited by Username

Blutac aside, the overall mod looks great. How about including a set of instructions and the changes in sound presentation (if any)?

This is what i posted on head-fi concerning the sound...

The highs are definitely tamed, not that I have ever claimed that SR60s were piercing and the bass is

The comfort is excellent

The mids are kind of congested since the exposed drivers are very near my ears

Additional comments:

I threw away my first prototype (they are only cardboard afterall tongue.gif ) since some of it tore out a little and it sounded quite boomy. I adjusted the pads so that the drivers sit further away from my ears and they sounded much cleaner. So I plan to design and make my next prototype so that the drivers rest further from my ears. Pics will follow.

Blu-taks were also used in Larry's C-pads for the RS/PS/HP series headphones. tongue.gifwink.gif

Now for the tutorial:

user posted image

Here are the materials you'll need: blade, scissors, pencil, the original DT250 pad holder to use as a stencil, a piece of reasonably hard cardboad and blu tak.

user posted image

Draw the shap and the hole (the hole should be slightly smaller than the grado drivers. This is my new and improved design.

user posted image

You can cut the the pads in anyway you like (in shape of course). But my suggested way of cutting is to first cut out the general shape with a scissors. For the hole cut a + shape across the hole and slowly trim it away by it's circumference quarter by quarter.

user posted image

Final product.

user posted image

Test fit.

user posted image

I changed the design a little by placing small thick strips to make big gaps in between to allow air flow, it changes the sound tremendously for the better. More to come later.

user posted image

There is a gap for air flow into the pads, this is my new design.

The new design puts the drivers further away from the ears, furthermore the blu tak creates an air gap, Grados love air. The boominess that I dreaded is now gone, the headstage widened, more treble sparkle and it is now ALOT more airy than before. Just as comfy and better sounding. WOOT! tongue.giflaugh.gif