Sign in to follow this  
Ahlek

What music pieces do you play to test

Just started on this hobby, and was wondering what music pieces do you test your setup. My source is an ipod video, and i usually test using these pieces:

1. Luka - Suzanne Vega

2. Bizarre Love Triangle - Frente

3. Hotel California - Eagles (from Hell Freezes Over)

Hope to learn more from the veterans.

HFO's hotel california is not a good test, the bass is exagerrated with the use of a microphone at the conga drum's bottom vent. tweaking with that results in the rest of your music's bass sounding a little wierd and less satisfying.

i've given up on testing for perfection, because recordings differ as well, tweaking a system to sound good with some twangy musical instruments doesnt mean the vocals sound good as well.

just have to ensure coherent speaker placements, no boomyness, good imaging etc and i generally do that with a few discs, vocals to orchestral, inclusive of the 1812 overture (not really test for positioning but how the system copes at reference levels)

laugh.gif

I would suggest you test with something you are very familar with. The thing is to know what to look out for when listening.

I'll play some music that I am very very familiar with.

Like some melodramatic pieces ... they changes from time to time.

Presently,

1) Coldplay - The Scientist

2) Jay Chou - Ang Jing

3) Haven - Say Something

4) Keane - EVerybody's changing

5) Metallica - Garage Days Re-revisited

6) No Doubt - Running

7) Sammi Cheng - jiu xiang lian (old necklace)

8) BlackHead - Ten (ablum)

9) Simply Red - For your babies

Im new to this kind of stuff. But when im using earphones, even good ones, and when i blast them loudly, the cymbals (especially) and drums kinda get drowned out by the guitars. But when i use a good pair of headphones, the cymbal hits are very clear, one of the things i look out for, cymbal hits.

Just to add, the song i listen to when testing is Slayer - Angel Of Death.

Good, SLAYER is tight and diificult to reproduce thru HIFI equipment ... good choice to ween out the pretender of speed.

And their original US recordings are not bright ... the timing of the snare drum and bass drum is impecable ....