Sign in to follow this  
heady

How to connect ext mic to Sony videocam

Hi all, I have to video record a talk with a Sony videocam. The built-in mic is bad, so I would like to use an external mic which I already have.

The videocam is a DCR-PC9E and it has a socket marked mic. Problem is I have tried plugging in the mic and it won't work. Can't find any info in the manual re: the mic socket.

BTW - the mic has an balanced XLR socket and the videocam a mini-phono socket. I asked LHS to make me a cable with XLR and mini-phono connectors but it doesn't work as just plugging in the cable alone causes hum. I presume this is bcause the output is balanced but the videocam input is not balanced.

Anyone with experience with this equipment?

Thanks for any help/comments/suggestions.

Edited by heady

Heady: You should consult Albert. He does not deal in digcams but he deals in mics and pa systems. His knowledge may be helpful in solving your problem. Last but not least, he has the ready-made Klotz cables with different combinations catering to mixers and mics.

Edited by Mackie

Thanks Mackie. I bought the wireless mic from Albert. He does not know re: videocams. Anyway, I have solved that part I am asking about above - today a sound engineer friend recommended a transformer adaptor from Shure (A96F) which is made just for this purpose. Bought it at $78 and it's done.

Now that I can hear the sound from the mic, other problem - noise. Maybe this is a receiver problem, so will be consulting with Albert tomorrow.