Sign in to follow this  
afbug

Blast from the past: Aiwa HP-J7

Remember this? tongue.gif Compared to some, its not too long ago but still, it had been more than 10 years ago. I bought the first pair back in 1993. Cost me $40 back then, quite a sum to a poor school boy. I used them for a few months then one fine day....i changed school bags, transfered everything but forgot the earphone. So i thought i lost it. Sad! No choice and i do not want some $10 ones so i save up to buy a second pair. I only found the first pair some years later. What a surprise! So i ended up with 2 pairs. headphone.gif My friends used to marvel at them as they're such unique earphones and sound good. Ahhh those are the Walkman and Discman days. And those were the glory days of Aiwa when they took on Sony in the walkman and discman business.

There're not many info or pictures about this Aiwa. Not even headfi. So i thought i share some pictures and info on them. They come with a sleek carrying case and a pair of foams with holes on 2 sides. Naturally, after all these years, i do not have those foams anymore. These are the earphones that when with me through thick and thin. Survived crushing textbooks, sweaty and dirty schoolboy, daily abuse and best of all, the test of time. Please do not try to get these off me. I can lose all the earphones i have but not these. If there is a fire, i'll save these earphones only. headphone.gif If you really do want to make a ridicules bid, please start at SGD$40K and i promise i'll mull over it. yes.gif

FYI and IMHO, they can easily match Sony's top end earphone offering. Even the E888. They sound different to a E888 but have levels of detail and clarity that match it. It sounds bassier and its mids is a little recessed compared to the E888. Oh yes, the famous bass doesn't overwhelm its mids and treble. You can get all this for $40 back in 1993 when Sony's best cost $70. E484 if i'm not wrong. So why is its bass so good and strong? Its because of its wearing style. Vertical! It was a very new thing back in 1993.

Of cause this is no perfect earphone. The design and vertical style is very uncomfortable and because of its neck-chain design, all the weight of the cord is placed on the left side, making it drop or move out of position often.

Anyway, enjoy the pictures!

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

Hope you like the photos! Mackie, i'm not sure if its still avaliable in HKG. Very unlikely as they're a 'fast moving' country, just like SG. 2nd might still got chance. I thought those small shops in places like Taiwan or China might still have them.

used to have a pair also. they came with those special foam cover-on that has a through hole, like a doughnut. laugh.gif

I dare say this is the all-time best ear bud by Aiwa and certainly thrashed the high end Sonys in the same era. Even What Hifi? gave it a 5-star rating. I recall its unique way of inserting the buds offer better isloation too. Memories..............I will definitely keep a lookout for it!

Edited by Mackie

used to have a pair also. they came with those special foam cover-on that has a through hole, like a doughnut. laugh.gif

Used to have a pair? Spoil liao? Those doughnut foams not possible to get replacements. Even back in 1993, i dunno where to buy replacement foams. Only choice is to make them yourself.

aaron-xp: Dun bid for fun! tongue.gif

Used to have a pair? Spoil liao? Those doughnut foams not possible to get replacements. Even back in 1993, i dunno where to buy replacement foams. Only choice is to make them yourself.

aaron-xp: Dun bid for fun! tongue.gif

yup, spoil liao. i still remember the doughnut foam fell off, cannot find. then in the end diy with a normal foam. laugh.gif

aiwa used to make really good earphones, their mini/micro hifi and minidisc players were good too. too bad sony bought them over and aiwa was gone.

Edited by DiGdUb

I have a pair of those too but i lost it somewhere.. since after i got this.. which offer me better sound and isolation. They are cheap and good,....

user posted image

Wonder if can insert a small piece of heatshrink tube and blow it to a doughnut shape..... huh.gif

How to har? The foams are similar to Grado Bowls. Got holes on both sides. I use a hole or belt puncher to punch another hole. headphone.gif