Sign in to follow this  
zilk

In-ears or HEADphones?

hey all.. im currently using a Panasonic HJE-50s for my ipod. When i first used it, i was rathr impressed but soon it became kinda boring. I don't know how to describe the sound. It gets rather high pitch at times. The long cables irritated me as well.

Now i'm thinking whether to get the Creative Ep-630 or a set of Grado S-60. Budget is around $120+.

I have a few concerns. Firstly the creative ones are Y-cord sort..tt kinda sucked. But how's the sound? For the Grados, are they heavy? cos most of the listening would be done on the move and what if i wanna use them with my home amplifier set-up? What sort of other cables would i need?

Anyway, What-Hi-Fi mag lists the price of a SR-60 as 90 pounds. that would be roughly 170 dollars when converted! so is the price at MBD $120?

I was in japan a couple of weeks back and i was hoping to get the sharp m33s but i saw NONE around. saw lots of jvc phones though..

feel free to recommend other ear/headphones!

Guest davidcsk2112

When I last checked, the price of a Grado SR-60 was $120 (from "Music by Design" in Adelphi or "Stereo Electonics" in Causeway Point) - nicely within your budget. Check out the headphone prices thread in this forum.

There are several differences between headphones and in-ear monitors (IEMs). First, headphones are not portable, while IEMs are. Second, open headphones (like the Grado SR60) are poorer at isolating ambient noise than a pair of decent IEMs. If, as you say, "most of the listening would be done on the move", IEMs would win on both counts. Headphones would generally be better for your "home amplifier set-up": comparatively, headphones will have better sound quality.

With your budget, perhaps you could consider the Sony series of headphones. The Sony MDR-EX71 (available in white to match the iPod) has been generally quite well received and retails for about $70.

oh no no ... EX71 has bad, muddy sound, avoid unless there are no alternatives. Build quality is not too good either. Mine died in less than a year...

EP630 has a neckstrap version = EP635

oh no no ... EX71 has bad, muddy sound, avoid unless there are no alternatives. Build quality is not too good either. Mine died in less than a year...

EP630 has a neckstrap version = EP635

I think what he's looking for is a "neckchain" like he's old HJE-50 rather than the "neckstrap" which he has to hang he's mp3 player most of the time.

i don't really get the neckstrap part.. how is it like?

i've heard the sound of ex71. don't like it at all.. too pricey for it's sound quality anyway..

Hi Zilk

Personally, i think that it depends on whether u r looking for a headphone/earphone that u will want to use on the go- in buse/ trains etc or one to be used in the relative silence(duh) of the home.

The Creative earbuds provide some isolation and thus is more practical for use in the train than a SR60- Actually, i have tried using my ATH-A500 on the underground MRT-yah, some stares, but just as an experiment, y'know wink.gif-and IMO it is very difficult to listen to the music unless i crank up my source to near max!

For me, up till now, if it is SQ that i am after, i feel that for the same price, headphones generally fare better then ear-buds- of course this is in my limited experience as a consumer of headphones/earphones.