heady

Recommend me a good DMM

I think my Sanwa CD800a DMM is not working right. It's less than 6 months old, I think. But it doesn't settle down for resistance and voltage readings. It used to work for current measurement in the past weeks but now it won't even allow current thru the probes.

This is my first DMM so apart from the inability to measure current, is the constant changing readings normal for DMM?

What do the gurus and EE experts have to recommend for a good and inexpensive DMM? Just to see if I can afford to change it.

I feel like the idiot I am... lol.gif I opened the DMM and saw that a fuse has blown. Fuse rated 0.5A 250V. Wow, did I get so much current thru the DMM? no.gif

Maybe I should change my nick to empty-heady? lol.gif

ooh

good then

I just replied to you thru pm lol

errmm, but wait

some DMMs' fuses are not easy to be bought and/or replaced

maybe you blown it while testing ur PINT! lol

Not expert nor guru, but I'm using a Taiwanese "fluke clone" from Sim Lim. Works well, lasted for over 10 years already. :)

Edited by stocker

thanks stocker. Solution to my problem was a fuse from Sim Lim Tower. I think I will just stick to my Sanwa. :)

Edited by heady

ooh

good then

I just replied to you thru pm lol

errmm, but wait

some DMMs' fuses are not easy to be bought and/or replaced

maybe you blown it while testing ur PINT! lol

not exactly. there's always a replacement fuse that could be used. the CD800a have about a max of 200mA, and something like 0.2A of 0.25A fuse could be used. the voltage rating could scale from a few volts to hundreds of volt if you're not paranoid about it.

the CD800a fuse are somewhat easy to burn. get a few and stock it.