Sign in to follow this  
aegisofrime

Do I have weird ears?

Ok, I'm not sure which forum this topic belongs to, so I will just post it here.

Firstly, I remember reading before that the left ear is better at hearing sounds of a certain frequency, and the other ear is good at hearing sounds of another frequency. Which particular freqeuencies, I'm not sure tongue.gif

That leads me to conclude why earphones are marked as left and right: not only is it for the soundstage, but the music piped through each side is tuned for the frequency that each ear is good at hearing.

So one night, I was fumbling around with my EP-630s in the dark, and being unable to see the left-right markings on them I just put them on. I then realized that the music that I was hearing was remarkably clear: sounds which I have never heard were now audible. In short, the "Day and Night" difference people often talk about when buying new cans.

Afterwards under enough light I noticed that I was wearing the right side in my left ear and vice versa. This led me to wonder if somehow, my ears are different from that of a normal person. I repeated this experiment and actually found that certain sounds were bright on one ear and muted on the other. This goes for both ears.

So... Is there anything wrong with my ears? Hope my post is understandable. laugh.gif

I've read about this before. It's like having a 'master' eye and 'master' hand. You can actually hear better from one ear than the other. That's why you often see people tilting their head and pointing one side towards the sound system when they are listening to gear.

I personally have better hearing from my left side than my right.

I need to find this article, will post a link when I do.

lol. there's nothing wrong with your ears.

it's just natural, we tend to develop a dominant hand, leg, eye, whatever..

the dominant ear is the one you answer your phone with. if you like you can start training the other ear, like for me, i've been using my left ear more for phone conversations. i'm more confident with it now, last time i could never really hold a phone conversation on the left ear.. so i believe there must have been improvement. whether there's any scientific proof on this i have no idea tho. smile.gif

PG84: your avatar is a real, er, pain to look at... XP

on topic: gee... this is news to me... never realised got 'master ear' one... cool smile.gif

They say you learn something new everyday.

So guys, maybe next time try wearing cans the "wrong" way. You might just discover a new music experience laugh.gif

That leads me to conclude why earphones are marked as left and right: not only is it for the soundstage, but the music piped through each side is tuned for the frequency that each ear is good at hearing.

The left and right markings are simply left there to ensure the user does not listen to music in the wrong orientation. The drivers are made/tuned to equal specifications. But if the quoted theory holds true, I believe this may be considered during mastering in studios. I always feel that the left channel tend to carry high frequency more often or perhaps it's just my ears discerning this trait more than my right.

I do agree that most if not all have a "favourite" ear to pick up subtle sound. I'd worked with bank dealers in noisy environment for over a decade and noticed most have a favourite ear for their handsets.