Sign in to follow this  
razer

Arrival of the GS-1000's (56K warning!!)

My Grado GS-1000's arrived yesterday and I collected them early in the morning at the immigrations and customs office over at the main branch of Singapore Post. Tax was a hefty $80..... wacko.gif

After collecting them, the first thing I did was to rush home and try them on. Right out of the box, the headphones sounded impressive. Maybe it was also because of my anticipation and eagerness to listen to them that made them sound better....you know...placebo and stuff like that....I decided that this wasn't fair so I decided to stuff them into the dry box (set at 50%) and played them till i reach the 100 hour mark.

However, as I've promised you guys for the pictures, I took them out just now and snapped a few photographs before stuffing them back into the dry box for the insanely gruesome burn in period.

Here are some of the pics:

Plan view:

user posted image

Metal earcup holders:

user posted image

Edited by razer

The grains on the wooden cup:

user posted image

The metal slider rod is a square tube instead of a round one:

user posted image

Edited by razer

Btw, sorry for the poor quality images. Had to resize and compress them alot because the higher quality pictures that I posted earlier on couldn't be viewed or linked properly...

I do have the 30 days money back guarantee. The problem is I don't and have no plans of returning them because so far, my listening experiences with this pair of cans has been positive and I'am just burning them in without listen to them much. I don't really believe in burning in and am alwasy skeptical about it but I still do it... tongue.gif Just like people who knows smoking is bad for thier health but still does it...Anyway, back to your question, I will do a quick review on it soon. And that is when they reach thier 100hour mark. Sound stage is so far moderately large, at least larger than the HD650. Bass has great impact and body but doesn't go as deep as that on the L3000. Highs aren't sibilent and mids are smooth although a little laid back for a Grado...

Edited by razer

Btw, seems that everytime i come back to this thread, some photos cannot be viewed....

I also cannot view some of them. The later ones. The bagel pads look huge! blink.gif I tot you going to recable them? Any plans?

Edit:

Forgot to congrats you for the long awaited GS1K. Looks very good in the pics. So the soundstage is? Killer Grado? headphone.gif Does the wider soundstage dun make it sound like a Grado? The upfront presentation?

Edited by afbug

Btw, seems that everytime i come back to this thread, some photos cannot be viewed....

I also cannot view some of them. The later ones. The bagel pads look huge! blink.gif I tot you going to recable them? Any plans?

Edit:

Forgot to congrats you for the long awaited GS1K. Looks very good in the pics. So the soundstage is? Killer Grado? headphone.gif Does the wider soundstage dun make it sound like a Grado? The upfront presentation?

Dunno about the recabling part yet...Haha. Yeah, the bowl pads are huge, larger than what i expected. I wouldn't say that its a killer grado mainly because I've not tried the RS-1's before....But I just took it out and my itunes randomed to this Jazz piece by 鈴木重子 called I will call you and man, do the vocals and everything sound good!

Edit:

It sounds like a normal wide soundstage headphone with Grado sound with and infusion of the good qualities of the HD650...Btw, it took so long to get here because my cousin was having a great time with it over at the States when I shipped it over to her house....haha.... blink.gif

Edit:

It sounds like a normal wide soundstage headphone with Grado sound with and infusion of the good qualities of the HD650...Btw, it took so long to get here because my cousin was having a great time with it over at the States when I shipped it over to her house....haha.... blink.gif

So it loose its upfront presentation? haha your headphone is no long 'brand new'.

Yeah, they no longer have that upfront sort of sound that Grado is famous for. But it still posseses quite alot of Grado qualities, add in the soundstage and smoothness...

Edited by razer