Sign in to follow this  
HellDemon

Shure E4c or Ultimate Ears Super.Fi 5 Pro??

Yeah I have some mixed feelings about this....

I've seen reviews that say SF5 is better overall, and other reviews say that the E4c's are...

I don't really mind the cost since there isn't much of a difference between the 2 (approximately $50 if im not mistaken).

I want comfort and that would lean me against the E4c side, but I also don't want to get hit by a car, so that evens it out...

People say that the E4c's have a better overall sound distribution, but is not so balanced between the bass as the SF5's... (I like clarity more i.e. treble)

But the reason I won't choose the E4c's right off the bat is because I've ruined a pair of E3c's and a few other IEM's because of the right angled plug.... Because the iPod's design (and probably all other mp3 players), the plug turns, and after a while, it would end up engraving a line throughout the whole plug, ruining it (either making it unusable in 1 ear or both.... happened to me abillion times).

And because of the SF5's removable (but alot less sturdier) cord, I can't really choose between the 2.

Any advice??

Yeah I have some mixed feelings about this....

I've seen reviews that say SF5 is better overall, and other reviews say that the E4c's are...

I don't really mind the cost since there isn't much of a difference between the 2 (approximately $50 if im not mistaken).

I want comfort and that would lean me against the E4c side, but I also don't want to get hit by a car, so that evens it out...

People say that the E4c's have a better overall sound distribution, but is not so balanced between the bass as the SF5's... (I like clarity more i.e. treble)

But the reason I won't choose the E4c's right off the bat is because I've ruined a pair of E3c's and a few other IEM's because of the right angled plug.... Because the iPod's design (and probably all other mp3 players), the plug turns, and after a while, it would end up engraving a line throughout the whole plug, ruining it (either making it unusable in 1 ear or both.... happened to me abillion times).

And because of the SF5's removable (but alot less sturdier) cord, I can't really choose between the 2.

Any advice??

go hear them out yourself

you have to prioritise yourself on what are the important factors...have a feel on the actual things and speak to the people who are selling you the product and you will know better

xllms

yeah but the problem is, i don't live where you guys do.... im a foreigner :P im from canada eh?* (toronto) and there aren't really any stores that are like that.... and i've never seen 1 person with higher-end earbuds, let alone even mid-ranged...

*is living in canada something that can get me banned here? o.O seeing as your SG Headphones, and not CDA Headphones :P

yeah but the problem is, i don't live where you guys do.... im a foreigner :P im from canada eh?* (toronto) and there aren't really any stores that are like that.... and i've never seen 1 person with higher-end earbuds, let alone even mid-ranged...

*is living in canada something that can get me banned here? o.O seeing as your SG Headphones, and not CDA Headphones :P

welcome to tis forum then...:)...didnt know u r not local (SG)...since u dun have access to the earphones, perhaps u can let us know ur choice of music, ur music player and listening habits...then we can advise u better

cheers!

:)

xllms

I will go for the Shure E4g. NOt because I am an owner of an E4g but because I find that it suits me more after buying it and tested the SF5pro yesterday. THe SF5pro is really on-par with the E4g, but to put on a SF5pro is not an easy thing and the wires are very thin. The bass on SF5pro is good but somehow or rather I PERSONALLY think that it covered up part of the highs - too strong to my liking. But nevertheless, the bass really blew me off. Not to say that the E4g has no bass, it has bass that is tight and steady. Not really strong but acceptable level for me.

E4g

1. good build quality

2. easier to put it on

3. unobtrusive

4. tighter bass?

SF5pro

1. superb bass ( some find it muddy )

2. dual driver

3. changable wires

4. "memory wire" ( too hard for my liking )

Both comes with 2 years warranty. So it is really hard to decide. If you are a bass person, you won't like the E4g initially. But if you can get used to the new sound signature, then maybe you will like it.

Hi there!...welcome to our forums!

personally, I prefer the e4c SQ wise, while I personally am using the e3c, mine have also been running into alot of problems(intermittent on one side/broken nozzle/etc,) and Im not even using the ipod. One recommendation I can offer is to add in right angle connecter/adapter to thr ipod, or a straight adapter with a short cable. I believe both can be made for a few dollars only...

edited with pics:

something like these:

http://store.treocentral.com/store_images/...s/large/337.jpg

http://www.wpsantennas.com/ProductImages/p...reo_Adapter.JPG

thx :) and about that, through your experiences of the e3's (same/similar build design as the e4's), you've come to alot of troubles there.... I have an extention cord that has a straight plug.... It's only about 20cm long so it won't make much of a difference in cord length..... the problem is, I don't know how long the cords are and if that extra 20cm will make it worse =/ (my height is soemthing around 5'11 or so)

welcome to tis forum then...:)...didnt know u r not local (SG)...since u dun have access to the earphones, perhaps u can let us know ur choice of music, ur music player and listening habits...then we can advise u better

cheers!

:)

xllms

yeah i listen to music FREQUENTLY, just about every time i step outa the house :P and that's why comfort is a big deal to me, but the price of comfort, could be the fact that i get run over by a car when walking down the street <_______<

and thx everyone

but see, because of the non-removable wire on the e4's/all of shure's models, i stepped down from buying the e4's..... sure the build quality, looks, and wires may be all sturdier and better then the SF5's, but the fact doesn't change that I would eventually ruin the plug =/... So all because of that 1 little cord problem that i have with basically all my earphones (i ruined a pair of e3's in less then 2 months because of that :( ), i can't choose between the 2 :( this is what makes it so hard lol

although i could use my short little extention cord, im still not sure how long the E4's wires are =/ the SF5's are about 46" if im not mistaken and that should be fine

Edited by HellDemon

yeah i listen to music FREQUENTLY, just about every time i step outa the house :P and that's why comfort is a big deal to me, but the price of comfort, could be the fact that i get run over by a car when walking down the street <_______<

and thx everyone

but see, because of the non-removable wire on the e4's/all of shure's models, i stepped down from buying the e4's..... sure the build quality, looks, and wires may be all sturdier and better then the SF5's, but the fact doesn't change that I would eventually ruin the plug =/... So all because of that 1 little cord problem that i have with basically all my earphones (i ruined a pair of e3's in less then 2 months because of that :( ), i can't choose between the 2 :( this is what makes it so hard lol

although i could use my short little extention cord, im still not sure how long the E4's wires are =/ the SF5's are about 46" if im not mistaken and that should be fine

hey pal...i can't comment much on e4 cos i have yet to try them...they certainly look sturdy enough but not in the same league as etymotic & westone...

if u like comfort, to me, westone offers the best comfort (um1 n um2)...they fit nicely into your ears n do not protrude out much...the best thing is tat when u move, they hardly lose the tight and comfortable fit for good isolation (depends on the flanges/tips u use)

with regards to the sound, Superfi.5pro has abit of everything and sound pretty gd...generally i prefer this to UM2 cos it is clearer n has sufficient performance in the entire spectrum tho it lacks warmth and commanding qualities of UM2

hey, wat player r u using?...cos afterall u r pairing ur earphones w ur player to get the sound quality

if ur player has a neutral sound w gd EQ, i would advise u get the e4 cos the sonic quality is already there, all u need to use EQ to get the desire boost required in the required spectrum

Superfi5pro is already leaning heavier on the bass aspect, not as neutral as e4

if u have a chance, do try out etymotic er4...really fantastic earphones

xllms

I'm sure there's a shop in Toronto where you can try these out. Maybe you should post a thread on www.head-fi.org? Enthusiasts from all over the world congregate there. Ours is a more local crowd. There are quite a few Canadians at head-fi, who might be able to find you a shop there...let us know what you eventually decide on. :))