Sign in to follow this  
Guest joi-ful

Goldring DR150!!

Guest joi-ful

hmm, I had the luxury to try out the new Goldring DR150 at Stereo Electronics today in my search for nice open headphones to be driven out of my portable. :DD

Considering they can be driven by dap easily, I think it'd be better to start a thread in this sub-forum rather than in the Home Equipment forum. I'm not exactly a headphone person due to comfort issues but the dr150 sounds simply too good to be missed out.

The dr150 is housed in plastic but the build quality is definitely superior than that of the Grado's. I read somewhere that it has a titantium driver, not too sure as well.... The dr 150 features detachable cables with a nice chrome finish, making it look rather expensive.

I tested the dr150 and found it to rather efficient, comparable to the grado's. Since I'm rather impressed by the SR60's sound quality, I think I'll compare the DR150 to the SR60 so that one would have a better idea of their sound. Firstly, the sound signature of Goldring is very different to that of Grado's. The Grados are very aggressive and fun-sounding with crisp mids and highs. While the Goldring's is forward sounding as well, it doesn't have the 'in-ur-face' aggressiveness of the Grado's. (which may or may not be a good thing) The soundstage of the Goldring's is far superior and wider compared to the Grado's and are very nice for instrumentals. The Goldring's also has a smoother sound but they're still a tad bright though. Sibilance is also present but as Aron told me, they're not burned in yet.

In short, they sound rather impressive for their price. Really exceeded my expectations. Now torn between the Grado SR60 and the Goldring Dr150, the extra $70 kinda puts me off a little, considering my financial constraints at the moment. :no: I'd say that the SQ of both cans are on par but they present music very differently. But I really appreciated the soundstage that the Dr150 provides. Zzz. Advice anyone?? Anyone willing to take the plunge and tell me if the Goldring's are worth the extra $70?? Perhaps Aron can further enlighten us on this. :wacko:

Edited by joi-ful

DAPs can power many headphones but that does not mean that those headphones like all Grados, Senns should belong here. In short, its 'PORTABLE'. If you want to use SR60 or DR150 as portable cans, then i got nothing to say. :P

I think go for the DR150 better if they're more comfortable for you. Also, they come with QED cables with the 150.

Edited by afbug

Guest joi-ful

I guess I'll leave it to the mods to the decide where this thread should be.

I seriously doubt people at home equipment drive their headphones directly from their dap though.

Guest joi-ful

I didn't see the MS1 at SE, didn't ask as well. Given that I'm using a dap as a source coupled with my untrained ears prolly mean I won't be hearing much difference as well. lol. But the Goldring dr150 sounds totally different from whatever I've heard before. Having came from canals phones/ IEMs, the boost in soundstage really made me gian. Tried the DR100, wasn't impressed though. I'd get the sr60 over the dr100 anytime.

haha i checked with SE already... 190. i'm quite interested in testing them. they look very comfy. i already have ms2 so i just wanna hear and feel the difference. :) who knows i might like this too :S.

Guest joi-ful

They are VERY comfy!!

Whoa, MS2 liao, getting the Goldring shouldn't be a big problem for you. Erm, I've to eat my words again, I think the Goldring are more superior than the Grado's( SR60, not the MS2) in every aspect, just that the SR60 are really musical and fun sounding as well. Not to mention cheaper. Unless you don't like the Grado sound, I'd go for Sr60 for it's price-quality ratio. But I still gian for the Goldring's comfortness and soundstage. zzz.

I think u'll like the depth and reduced brightness from the Goldring. Take note that they suffer a bit from sibilance as well, but I think they'll do fine after some burn-in (I read that from Head-fi)

The DR150 has insane price-to-performance ratio. I personally found them to be superior to the Grado SR80 by quite a long shot but is about equal in price (But then again, I like at least a bit of soundstage on my headphones).

They're surprisingly revealing for their price point, so sibilance is expected. The pair in SE is not yet burnt in though.

Currently short of money, otherwise would have gotten them yesterday.

looks like its time to save up for the next few months haha....

I have the DR150 and I would say it is quite impressive for its price. Comfort is top notch too. Although if you have a really big head, it might be a bit of a problem. It simply disappears after a while and you forget that it's there.

I really really like the sound signature especially for pop ballads... retro dance tracks sound quite good on it as well. Not quite as good for instrumentals, as in not natural sounding enough. I must say that the detachable cable is really a plus. Allows you to customise your own cable.

On the minus side, it does sound a bit muffled, but that is when compared to a W1000, which costs a whole lot more. For <$200, it's value is awesome and you can't really go much wrong with it as an all round headphone...

My 2 cents worth..

Guest joi-ful

Haha, Aron, any offers for forum members for the Goldring? I think they'll be getting really POPULAR soon.

To Zeph: Yea, I'm saving up for either the Grado sr60 or the Goldring as well. It's tough being a student ya know?