Sign in to follow this  
Newbie123

Ety ER-4P vs ER-6i

Tried the Alessandros at Jaben just now. Really sweet. Anyway... ordered the Etymotic ER-4P. Tried the IEMs available in Jaben for audition, only the Etymotic ER-6i leave a better impression than the rest :)

i haf to say Ety is sweet...

hey, er4 p or s is the one wif bass boost? i forget liao...

' date='13 Jul 2006, 10:26 AM' post='69084']

Can low-end amps like LDM+ power ER-4S?

If that is possible then I may consider getting a S.

Not P.

Please advice.

Surely can power the 4S but the LDM+ is said to be a bass control and trebly amp. So it might not be a good match. These earphones are already bass light liao, surely you dun want to tame more of its bass! Wait till we get our LDM+, we'll know. If you want an amp, try supermacro 3 or 4. Got a 75 ohm impedence switch and got bass boost.

Edit:

If you want versatility, eg, not using any amp outdoors, go for the 4P but prepare to spend more on a 75 ohm adapter or P-S cable if you want to convert it to 4S. Want to save money, then go for the 4S but you're stuck with it. Can go ampless but erm....not many people go ampless with them.

If you have been to their site, there's actually an accessory cable that converts the ER4p to the ER4s. But it's marked $65usd. Might be a win win situation.

That is not cheap! I tot of getting one but I now think go for SM4 better. :P Can DIY one but if you add a DIY cable in, might tint the sound. Best is DIY a 75 ohm adaptor with no cables. Xin used to make and sell his adapters but I think now he doesn't make them anymore. I din check thou.

Edited by afbug

Its expensive for a cable. But justifiable for its ability to get you the sounds of 2 different IEMs.

No leh. They're not different IEMs. They're the same. The only difference is the resistance in the 4S. It has a 75 ohm resister in the grey pod. The cable is just to add resistance to the 4P. That is all. :mellow:

hey, er4 p or s is the one wif bass boost? i forget liao...

ER4P. It's not exactly a bass boost, just more bass due to the lower impedance. Overall the 4S has a more balanced freq spectrum, but I prefer the 4P for commuting (without an amp). Get the 4P with the 4P->4S adaptor for the most versatility. Skip the ER6i if budget permits, the price difference is worth the increase in fidelity imho. Also saves you from upgraditis later on.

I owned ER6i but now using ER4S, the ER4S blow me away when pairing up with a dark sounding amps

(subjective) and since then no regret. I even feel that the the ER4S sounds better than my HD650/Zu (subjective) :))

haha... the ETY ER4S is a very good and value for $$$ reference sound can for beginer.. I have used it as a reference when i change myamps, sources ,ic and Power cord.. Nothing can hide the ER4S even the finest details can be heard very easily.