fallraen

The Little Dot 2 + Thread!

Yeah... Think might just call them up and ask them. Dun wanna make a special trip down. Was at SLS today so just popped down to ask around.

anyway the real name is 4П1П and its believed to be produced during ww2

guys , anyone faces this LD2+ problem ?

due to the intense heat (hence the cheap-paint smell), i unscrewed & took the transformer-cover off and drilled a few holes on top and side (8 altogether).

i also sand-papered it and resprayed it with better paint (silver) from Nippon Paint. it certainly looks better.

today, i fixed back the transformer-cover, 1.5 hours into listening (hot) -

no more cheap paint smell (good) , but the LD2+ started a low but audible rattling-like hum (bad). it sounded like old flourocent-light hum - very likely from the transformer section.

it's quite clearly heard if it placed near to the listener....

i did a left-right tubes switch, same problem after 1.5 hours (hot)....

it has the same problem now even with or wothout the cover - argh !

my LD2+ is barely 1 month old...

is this sign of poor quality ? anything can be done ? :rclxub:

It's a sign of not being patient. The same paint aroma therapy occurs with XiangSheng amp as well but it will dissipate in a week or two on daily use.

I'm afraid by drilling holes on the transformer cover, you have weakened its structure which is supposed to prevent excessive mechanical feedback (vibration) to the rest of the chassis. Anyway, I believe the tubes contributed more heat than the transformer. Hence, the ventilation holes on the cover of the latter do not rectify the heat issue by much.

Edited by Mackie

It's a sign of not being patient. The same paint aroma therapy occurs with XiangSheng amp as well but it will dissipate in a week or two on daily use.

I'm afraid by drilling holes on the transformer cover, you have weakened its structure which is supposed to prevent excessive mechanical feedback (vibration) to the rest of the chassis. Anyway, I believe the tubes contributed more heat than the transformer. Hence, the ventilation holes on the cover of the latter do not rectify the heat issue by much.

points taken/noted.

while i do agree to your statement on inpatient - i don't call that aroma therapy ; try google

"paint and health" and see/read for yourself.....(remember - this is cheap paint from china.)

those 8 holes are small (4mm diameter).... will that still weaken the 'structure' ? the whole thing is still rock-solid as i screw it back on top-chasis.

today - i manage to reduce the hum by adding a few ferrite cores to the power input line . . .

peace ! :party:

Edited by Mackie

Sorry, I accidentally hit the edit button instead of reply.

Gees....U don't have a sense of humor, do U? :)

Google principles on architecture and tell me if a few holes in foundation will weaken it or not. Of course, it feels rock solid to touch but it's mechanical energy we are referring to. If the structure isn't affected, do you deduce the change in paint actually causes hum? My solution, apply blue tack to reinforce and dampen the vibration from transformer to chassis.

Ferrite cores...and a few too.....U just killed dynamics. We have discussed about ferrite cores and the related thread could be found using the forum's search function.

Edited by Mackie

points taken/noted. today - i manage to reduce the hum by adding a few ferrite cores to the power input line . . . peace ! :party:

I suggest not to use ferrite clamps on interconnects and headphone cables as they tend to stifle dynamics and thus resulting in a dull sound. Treble extension also suffers. However, these detriment may be less noticeable and even beneficial when used on power cords. Let your ears decide.

cool.

points taken/noted.

while i do agree to your statement on inpatient - i don't call that aroma therapy ; try google

"paint and health" and see/read for yourself.....(remember - this is cheap paint from china.)

those 8 holes are small (4mm diameter).... will that still weaken the 'structure' ? the whole thing is still rock-solid as i screw it back on top-chasis.

today - i manage to reduce the hum by adding a few ferrite cores to the power input line . . .

peace ! :party:

So it means you had the hum all along even before you mod the case?

So it means you had the hum all along even before you mod the case?

nope....she was all quiet and nice (except smelly like h@ll) - hums only notice-able / audible after my itchy-hands-tricks.... <_<

leeyn: Nice to see you research fast. However, using ferrite core to reduce hum will also reduce dynamics. This will be very obvious when playing back music with sharp transients such as cymbals clash or any form of musical climax. U may notice limited dynamics ie, a fast rolloff in transients when it could have extended further. Use the ferrite core by all means if what SE has mentioned above is correct, ie, there's hum before you mod the case. If the hum occurs only post mod, remove the ferrite cores and isolate the transformer from the chassis further (blue tack) until the hum is no longer audible. U could also employ velvet tape around the chassis in contact with chassis cover to reduce hum.

isolate the transformer from the chassis further (blue tack) until the hum is no longer audible. U could also employ velvet tape around the chassis in contact with chassis cover to reduce hum.

mackie, thanks.

i afraid the blue-tack (that i knew) wont stand the heat...

personally - i am prepared to sacrifice the dynamics (slightly onli nia!) as compares to those 2 : nasty humming and smelly metalic box.....

thanks, again.

Edited by leeyn

employ velvet tape around the chassis in contact with chassis cover to reduce hum.

how is this thing looks like ? where can i find them ? any url for ref please ?

U can find it at any HomeFix outlet. Look for them in the velcro section. It's green in color.

cool - THANKS !

i did another mod on the mod suggested.. :-

i cut 4 small leather stripe (1cm length, 3 mm width - should not be easily flameable ?) and padded them below the transformer with the 2 side-screws tightened......

it looks like a small isolation platform....

wow : guess what - much-much less hum liao....

almost totally un-audible....unless u popped head very close to it.... :cans:

Edited by leeyn