Sign in to follow this  
evil-zen

Cayin HA-1A

I am thinking of getting the Cayin to function as speaker, preamp and last but not least headphone amp. Before I buy it, I better ask some questions. How does it function in terms of its 3 capabilities? All of them will be used in my system. I also noticed several fellow members (cum moderators) have owned and sold the Cayin amp. But what makes you decide to sell it?

Yes I have owned the excellent Cayin/Spark HA-1A. First off as a headphone amp it's great with headphones like the Senn HD-600/650, Beyer Dt-880 (older version), and even the AKG K-1000. As in intregrated, you would need highly sensitive speakers (otherwise it'll start clipping). Go down to the agent/dealer in Singapore - Precision Audio Ground Floor Adelphi - and you can audition it (bring your own headphones cos they dont have any headphones for you to demo). Also try to go on a weekday as they are very busy on sat. An alternative to try is the Cayin M-6. It's better as a speaker amp, has a bit more juice and can funtion as a headphone amp as well (for high impedence cans only).

I sold my Spark HA-1A because I get ringing in my ears when I use headphones but I dont seem to have this problem with speakers! Last nite I went to Ministry of Sound and was in the trance music area and was right in front of the speakers with the music blasting and no problems. Put on a pair of headphones for about 15 to 30 mins and it starts ringing. Go figure. Anyways I back into a speaker setup at home and am happy with what I have. I did try the Cayin as a pre-amp but it was very limited.

The speakers I tried with the Cayin/Spark was the Cyrus 780 and Tannony R3. Couldnt drive either. The Spark M-6 is a much better speaker amp IMO. Obviously when I heard it at Precision Audio it was thru Monitor Audio speakers. I did plug it a Senn HD-600 and Beyer DT-931 into its headphone socket. The M-6 liked the Senns better. Go and give it a listen - just bring your cans along.

As in my exposure to it as a pre was limited to only one or two power amps. As you know synergy between pre and power amps is as important.

I sold my Spark HA-1A because I get ringing in my ears when I use headphones but I dont seem to have this problem with speakers! Last nite I went to Ministry of Sound and was in the trance music area and was right in front of the speakers with the music blasting and no problems. Put on a pair of headphones for about 15 to 30 mins and it starts ringing. Go figure. Anyways I back into a speaker setup at home and am happy with what I have.

oooh...you now have what I have. Sorry to hear that. I remember how frustrating it could be.

Rameish,

Sorry to hear about your problem. Never expected it given how low you listen to headphones.

Have you tried the Cayin MT-12? I heard the HA-1A vs the MT-12 recently. Both via headphones out were pretty similar but MT-12 was much silent even after adjusting the impedance on the HA-1A. Didn't try them via speakers.

Yes the MT-12 has a nice headphone output too (forgot about that model). To me it sounded very similar to the HA-1A (when the HA-1 selector was set at 32 ohm). As for transformer noise I guess it's the luck of the draw. The HA-1A I had was rather silent (sure there was hiss but very very slight for a tube amp).

Yeah pipee same problem but mine is rather unique. I can use earbuds with no real issues (go figure). I think it's got somthing to do with the size and proximity of the headphone drivers. What to do, suck thumb and listen to speakers lor.

You should compare them at Precision Audio yourself. The MT-12 is more neutral and as such a bit stiff whilst the M6 is a more musical performer. I would pick the M6 if speakers had priority over headphones and would pick the MT-12 if it were the other way around.

Seems like this amp is attracting lots of attentions yet again, in the wake of Sam Tellig's review in Stereophile.

Edited by Mackie

Ahh...was wonder why. I had a couple of PM from different people and even an sms or 2. Penny drops rolls and drops into the piggy bank.

At least we discovered this gem way before our friends in the western world.....2 years since we wrote our reviews/opinions here? :)

i've got a used ha-01, almost no audible hiss in background. Howver, the guy I bought it from rolled the tube with GE and JJ.