Sign in to follow this  
loop_

Review: Custom earmold from Jaben for ER4S

I got a custom earmold from Jaben. Here are some thoughts. This was initially meant as a reply to a question posted by iynaix, but I found myself typing so much i figured i might as well make it a review.

IPB Image

Asked for one in black, but it looks a little grey. prob due to the silicon. :blink:

Taking the impression

First off, make sure your ears are clean. If not, you have to dig it there, which can be embarrassing for some. Luckily, mine were clean.

After an inspection for wax, Wilson's assistant placed 2 foam bits deep into my ear canal, to prevent the mold from entering too deep. This was a little uncomfortable. Thereafter, he placed the plasticine-like material into my ear. Here was where I feared for my ears a little. The guy who took them had no gloves on! :ppth:

No problems at all though, but I think an audiologist would have been a little more professional. But this was free! So it's much better! :D

There is however some scientific discourse over what sort of impression to take. Generally 3 types - open jawed, close jawed, or with jaws moving. At jaben, it was taken with closed jaw, but I left it open and moved it around a couple of times for kicks. Maybe that's why now the mold is tighter in my right ear than my left... Scientific opinion is undecided over which is the best way though, but some lean towards open jawed. There is this link where I read it from but the site is down now. I'll try and link it when it's back up for those interested.

Quality

To me, there are some minor build issues. For example, the area that you insert into your ear is coated with an extra layer which makes it smooth and a little more translucent than the outer area, but I found that the coating wasn't even. It's not a big issue in terms of looks, but these are things you do look out for when buying something which dents your pocket!

IPB Image

can you see the uneven coating?

Also, this thing attracts alot, alot of dust. I don't know why, but i just wipe it with water before I use it.

No pokies like the one ralli`fto had to pull out the earmolds, and no westone cloth (maybe that came with the UM2)!

That aside, I'm very happy with it. Price to satisfaction ratio, maybe 7 out of 10. Would get an 8-9 if not for the dust and uneven finish.

comfort

It's definitely alot more comfortable than the standard stuff you use. With triflanges, I always felt like there was something huge in my ears, that was just trying to squeeze itself out. Hurt alot. I can still feel the earmolds now, but it's very comfortable. However, as mentioned, it is tighter in my right ear than my left.

seal

I found that in terms of isolation, the triflanges and foamies are better. With the earmolds, I can hear the surroundings a little bit more, but not much to irritate. However, this might be because the earmolds Jaben makes are half clamp types, and not the full-clamped versions which cover almost the whole ear. I was quite surprised when I received it, because on the Westone site, the earmolds for the ER4S are full-clamped types, so where does Jaben get their earmolds from???

I'm digressing though, but to continue digressing, I prefer the half-clamps because they are less obtrusive by far. I look completely normal with them. ER4S still sticks out though, but even with triflanges it sticks out.

Lastly, because there is less of an 'under water' effect, I hear less microphonics coming from the cables, which are a problem with the er4s. still there though, so no miracle.

insertion

Of course, talk about seal is irrelevant if you can't get a good one! There is no problem with getting a good seal with customs. However, I did have difficulty with inserting them initially, but it's just a matter of getting used to. Oto-ease helps, but I don't like it because I just don't like putting weird greasy stuff into my ears, even if it's harmless. I use water, which works just as fine, but doesn't last as long. Even without water, I can insert it, but it can hurt a little on my right ear because it's tighter.

sound

With my ER-4S, I just find that more sound is coming through as compared to triflanges, especially at the bass, where it is now a little bit less tight and more apparent. This was where I felt the improvement came from mainly. Some might prefer the tighter bass of the triflanges, but considering that that's the main complaint most people have over the er4, i doubt so...

Except for the bass though, I wouldn't say it's a world of a difference. You can feel it though. It's sort of like hearing things with your ears sealed vs hearing things without. The thing sounds a little more natural and less recessed, and you don't feel like you're under water half the time.

However, some could say that the sound is smoother with the triflanges.

I haven't really listened critically for differences though - these are just based on impressions after a week's worth of listening compared to a memory - so take it with some salt yes...

Summary

PROS:

- comfortable (main reason for buying imo)

- cheap(er)

- better sound for er4s

CONS:

- slightly less professional impression taking session

- build quality is not perfect

- Gets dirty easily

Conclusion

If I could turn back time, I would still buy it. If you own an er4s, you will find this a valuable addition. Thanks Wilson!

Hansel.