Sign in to follow this  
redalf

amp for SR80

i'm using SR80 with X-Fi extreme music... thinkin of getting LDM, LD2+ or crossroad or others... portability is not my concern... any recommendations?

Does anyone have experience with any of the above amps with SR80?

Edited by redalf

From what I've read, i think maybe you should get a better headphone first before getting an amp.

sr80 sounds great without one, but you might have to upgrade along the grado chain to get a discernable difference. i think even an sr80 amped might not beat an sr225 unamped.

Again, all these from all the past readings i've done, which convinced me to move upwards from an sr125 to hf1. No regrets so far...

If you do want to get an amp for your sr80, one thing I would say is that because grado headphones are low impedence, you will definitely want to get an amp which is dead quiet, as well as a clean source (line out, no headphone out). Or else you will get a noisy headphone.. My own home amp is hibernating now precisely because it's not quiet enough, and I'm not happy. :mellow:

You might want to beware of this little dot tube wave going on. I think you may hear noise with your grados. Wait for them to arrive and try them first. You'll miss out on the MO though...

i use a ms2i for little dot 2+, with a cdp and that is no noise at all. if you are deciding on whether you wanna purchase the LD2+, you can audition it at my place.

If you do want to get an amp for your sr80, one thing I would say is that because grado headphones are low impedence, you will definitely want to get an amp which is dead quiet, as well as a clean source (line out, no headphone out). Or else you will get a noisy headphone.. My own home amp is hibernating now precisely because it's not quiet enough, and I'm not happy. :mellow:

You might want to beware of this little dot tube wave going on. I think you may hear noise with your grados. Wait for them to arrive and try them first. You'll miss out on the MO though...

My K14P earphones is 16 ohms and UM2 is 27 ohms but i heard much more hiss/noise on the UM2. Why? Its not all due the impedence. Sensitivity plays a part as well.

On my MS1, it is very hard to detect hiss. Grados are not that sensitive. If you can hear hiss on grados, your amp/player must be really noisy.

redalf, get a Darkvoice. :P

?? wat u mean by "get a Darkvoice" ?? :unsure:

Sorry, take a look at this thread. It is a Dared MP-5 thread but later posts at page 2 are about the Darkvoice. Its a sexy looking player and from impressions, its not bad. But I dunno if you'll like it with your SR80. No way to test as no stores stock them. Unless you wait till one of us buy it then ask for an audition.

http://www.sgheadphones.net/index.php?showtopic=5084