Sign in to follow this  
ralli`fto

Finally got my Beyerdynamic DT990 (56K warning!)

Got the Beyerdynamic DT990 after 3 visits to Jaben (sorry Uncle Wilson for troubling you :P ). I compared the DT990 with a number of cans: the Grados MS1 and MS2; the AKGs K501, K601 and K701; and Beyers very own DT880. I 1st tried the Grados and to admit i'm not a real big fan of the Grados as they were too bright for my liking so the MS1 and MS2 were struck off my list...

Next up were the AKGs. I must say the AKGs are really very airy cans. They give a very wide soundstage and i personally like music with wide soundstages. However out of the 3 cans from AKG, the 1 i'll pick is the K701 and the next in line was the K501. The K601 just didn't cut it out for me as it didn't have the clarity of the K501 and did not have the nice bass and detail of the K701.

So now it was time for the Beyers. I first tried the DT880 and it was a nice can, but comparing it with the K701 or even the K501 it did not have a very good soundstage and it fell short in favour. So up i picked the DT990 and i tried it. I must say it was a better than the K501 in the bass department and had the clarity of the K501 but i was in a dilemma cause of the cost of the cans. Its about a $200+ difference between the K501, DT990 and the K701.

So now the elimination process began.... I 1st eliminated the K701 although it's my favourite can for a very simple and basic reason. COST! It was just too costly for me and although i liked it very much i just could not bring myself to open my wallet to pay for it. So what remained were the K501 and the DT990. I actually spent about 1 hour trying to decide which can to decide then i decided to try something. All these while i was listening to the source and the LD2 provided at Jaben so now i decided to hook up the LD2 at Jaben to my ipod to see if i could pick a winner as i would be more familiar with the songs. So 1st i tried the K501. Pretty much the same as before and now i tried the DT990 thinking it would be pretty similar to the K501. Wow... i was wrong. The DT990 sounded more lively compared to the dead sounding K501. It was more forward and although it loses out on the wide soundstage of the K501, it was more fun listening to the DT990. So just after 10 mins on the ipod to the LD2 i made my decision and this was what followed me home...

IPB Image

Opening the box this is what was inside...

IPB Image

Now time to unzip the pretty lady....

IPB Image

Close up shot of the cans with the box...

IPB Image

Summary

Well... I'm very happy with the DT990 as it has a very good build quailty, nice accessory (carrying case), not overly expensive (compared to the K701), nice soundstage with good details, bass and clarity and overall a very very fun can to listen to.

ps. I'm not a very hardcore audiophile and the review above is a very basic and personal review from a person fairly new in this interest. ^_^

I think i posted this in the wrong section. Mods can you please move it to the Home Equipment section? Sorry for the trouble caused. Thanks.

Edited by ralli`fto

U made a wise choice, congratulations! IMHO, the new DT990 is simply the best and most musical can in Beyer's collection. The most analytical and detailed being DT150.

DT880 is semi-open and this design serves to balance the pros of a closed and open back design. It's not surprising that you find its soundstaging narrower than the AKGs which are all open designs.

Edited by Mackie

I think you made a good choice too. I also listened to them brieftly at Jaben. In your list, I only like the MS2 but still, I find its treble is too much for me. I tried out both DT880 and DT990 for 5 mins at the PC. :bash: Noisy and bad environment to test cans but in that 5 mins, I can tell that the DT990 is the superior can in my opinion. Better highs and bass but yet not harsh. Enjoy them. :cans:

But I still like the custom manufacture at Beyer's site. :P

I think you made a good choice too. I also listened to them brieftly at Jaben. In your list, I only like the MS2 but still, I find its treble is too much for me. I tried out both DT880 and DT990 for 5 mins at the PC. :bash: Noisy and bad environment to test cans but in that 5 mins, I can tell that the DT990 is the superior can in my opinion. Better highs and bass but yet not harsh. Enjoy them. :cans:

But I still like the custom manufacture at Beyer's site. :P

Hahaha.... I also like the custom manufacture. Esp with genuine black leather and black grilles. BUT.... too costly... Hahaha. Burning them in now.

Someone left 990's in the office by 'accident' for us to review ;)

of course I kopped them before anyone else could get their grubby hands on them.

Currently doing it's 200thish hour of burn in.

Today is the day I go back, plug it into my system and start writing my review.

*rubs hands* can't wait.

What is the SQ differ btw New 990 and old 990 version?I tried the new 990 at Jaben yesterday.IMO SQ is better then K701.

Edited by jojo

Hi ralli`fto, happy that u got such a beautiful looking and sounding set of cans... very tempted from Mackie's and your reviews to go test them out at Jaben some time soon. Thanks a lot.

So a LDM+ can run it ok? I 'm getting one from the 3rd MO soon... hahaha. Me first headphone amp. And will get a suitable IC to do them some justice.

May I know how ex was the AKG K701 price as u mention cost as the reason. Hope to find some funding for this impending damage. Now I really get the picture of members repeatedly said "to beware of wallets and encourage each other to spend money." ... guess i'm hooked already. S$499 for steel venetian blinds by me ears!

Cheers.

So a LDM+ can run it ok? I 'm getting one from the 3rd MO soon... hahaha. Me first headphone amp. And will get a suitable IC to do them some justice.

Cheers.

LDM+ can drive the 990 but I need to turn the volume to 1 - 2 o'clock position.

Of cos that also depends on how deaf your ear is. :D "think mine is quite deaf liao

I would suggest getting the LD2+ instead of the LDM+. Anyway this set of cans can only be fully enjoyed in the nice quiet atmosphere of your house. Dun think it can realli be used outside as its an open can. At its price range i think its the best all rounded can to get. Really a very fun can to listen to with lots of detail.

The AKG K701 was an additional $200++ i think.... (Gotta check with Uncle Wilson for the exact pricing)

I realli like the K701 but the price was a very big turn off. If it was in the same price range as the DT990 i would have walked away with the K701 instead.

:)

Edited by ralli`fto

Ya, I would forsee getting better amps (read loads about LD2+ and very interested @it's price... but exposed tubes not very convenient in myhome, and read that the tubes may need to be replaced, and diff to find alternatives??. Maybe Little Country or other amps fit my needs better?)

Good to know tt meantime b4 I get better amp, can still enjoy a Beyer with LDM+ std amp.

Ok, advices taken, will want to go chk out the Beyers and now started saving up for one. Mine ears also quite deaf, maybe when in army heard too much of live firings and ammo testings. Looking fwd to meeting some of you when I visits Jaben and maybe SE too... CWP is so far for me from Tampines.