Sign in to follow this  
liuhao

any zhaolu DAC alternatives?

plan to get a zhaolu 2.0 DAC to connect my PC to headphone and home hifi system. i have cd player but i also have lots of music content in PC. i dont need tube DAC btw.

have tried to use my soundcard (audigy) analog output. the sound quality is not acceptable.

i found the functionality of zhaolu is very good. i can connect my soundcard digital coax output to zhaolu. then i got headphone output, and also RCA or XLR output to my home hifi system amplifier. this is perfect. the price is very good too at around $150. have seen many good reviews on head-fi for zhaolu.

just like to know if there is any other good china made DAC which is similar as zhaolu? at this moment i only know zhaolu and diyeden. i dont mind paying slightly higher for a higher quality one.

of course a USB DAC is also fine. then i dont need my soundcard anymore. any good quality china made USB DAC other than diyeden?

thanks a lot.

is DIY solution a solution for u?

I'm in the process of ordering some PCB from UK

go to head-fi n search for "alien DAC"

it's using USB from your PC and the output would be analog line-out

please get back to me as I've missed out the 1st run of the board due to waiting too long

pricing wise, all stated in headfi

I'm just trying to help here, so naturally I'm not earning anything out of you and at the same time I'm not giving any guarantee in any form.

if you need a help in putting everything together, that can be discussed later on

Diyeden looks rather well made, anyone heard it before? Is it available locally?

I just bought a DT880 + Spark HA-1A, but still looking for a source.

post-2565-1156609781.jpg

post-2565-1156609794.jpg

Edited by laukinkon

newbie here...juz curious does the DAC can replace a sound card or somehow perform the same as a sound card? after using DAC do you still need a headphone amp for it to wrk?

newbie here...juz curious does the DAC can replace a sound card or somehow perform the same as a sound card? after using DAC do you still need a headphone amp for it to wrk?

Unless your DAC comes with an integrated headphone amp (some do), you will need a headphone amp for your headphones. Usually it's just another RCA->RCA connection.

oh ok..so if i connecting to my home theater then i dun need an amp since my HT got amp oredi rite? well does the zhaolu has a built in amp?or any dac comes wif an amp?my budget ard 200

DAC is not meant for HT setup. Because it is in stereo format only (2 channel) so you will lose usage of any other audio formats like AC3, THX etc..

DAC means Digital to Analogue Convertor, which is for bypassing your CDP's internal DAC or for your transport (either a dedicated CD transport or a computer-as-source) with digital output

The setup for DAC usage is as follows

TRANSPORT > DAC > PRE-AMP > POWERAMP > SPEAKERS or most headfier here would be

TRANSPORT > DAC > Headamp > Headphones

if your HT setup has a seperate transport/CDP from the amp, than you can set up as follows

DVD Player > DAC > HT AMP > 2.1 Speakers

Edited by viix

oh so the dac is meant for 2.1 instead of 5.1? hmm then in tat case will b a waste if i get a dac then..will b getting ms1...dun tink it need an amp also...anyway to link up my pc to my HT...currently using onboard sound...tats y tinkin either get sound card or dac..now dac seems to b out le

Well, as always my advise, do you like your current set-up? If not, what do you not like? Maybe a change of speakers/amp/cables might improve it. If not, just sit back and enjoy it the way it is. I'm still watching movies on my comp with el cheapo speakers at home. Not really into the explosions and earth shattering sfx. quite sick of it already :rclxub: Lol