T_T|||

Senn PX200 isn't as good as what you people say

I wanted phones smaller than my Grados SR80 but sounding better than Senn MX500. After coming here around a few months ago, I was convinced by several people here that Senn PX200 is good. I even bought the PA2v2 to go with it.

I expect many dissenting voices. But I still find that it sucks. Why?

The sound sounds MUFFLED. For some freakin' reason, the sound is muffled. Is it a problem that happens only to isolation cans? I do not know. The sh*tty pair of Creative noise cancelling cans I had had the same problem too. I don't know how to describe the feeling, but the music produced just doesn't sound "out" enough. bah. In fact, I find my Senn MX500 earphones sounding better than it.

I left the PX200 in office after using it for a week, never to be touched again. Now I'm happily using my SR80 on the streets.

i prefer audio technica's FC7 over the PX200. you should try it and it only cost 40 over

sometimes things are overhyped and you need to listen to believe

I know what you mean. The PX200 was supposed to be "noise-muffling" headphones. It tries to be a closed headphone, but because the earpiece does not cover your whole ear, it's hit & miss. If you don't get a good seal, you don't get good sound, period. I prefer the PX100 myself, though the bass can be a tad overwhelming.

I was using the PX200 for my commuting on the MRT until I discovered IEM's :P

The problem with the SR80 is that it leaks sound like crazy, and it doesn't isolate at all. So in noisy enviroments, you tend to turn the volume up to dangerous levels in order to hear anything. :no:

It probably sounded muffled as you've been spoiled by your Grados ;)

There is a saying that Grado lovers hate Senns, and Senns lovers hate Grados - the sound that comes out from both of them just go against each other. Grados have lots of detail, but not too strong bass, while Senns has good bass, nice warmth, but lots of detail lost.

As a fellow SR80 user, I can say that after I got my Grados, the rest of my headphones all sounded less detailed, and kinda muffled, especially the ones with a strong bass. Stuff like the Westones sounded muffled to me - Aron at Stereo Electronics was having a good chuckle at me when he say me almost trying to shove a UM1 into my ear in an attempt to get every last drop of sound from it. :rolleyes:

If you're not afraid of IEMs, you should give the Etys a listen - they're known for their highs, and some people have even called them "sterile", but I think they should be right for you.

If you want something more balanced, you can follow the other posters' recommendation on the FC-7, and give a listen (hopefully Stereo Electronics has an open set, if not, can use the 7-day return policy). Just be prepared to give up some of that detail.

I know what you mean. The PX200 was supposed to be "noise-muffling" headphones. It tries to be a closed headphone, but because the earpiece does not cover your whole ear, it's hit & miss. If you don't get a good seal, you don't get good sound, period. I prefer the PX100 myself, though the bass can be a tad overwhelming.

I was using the PX200 for my commuting on the MRT until I discovered IEM's :P

The problem with the SR80 is that it leaks sound like crazy, and it doesn't isolate at all. So in noisy enviroments, you tend to turn the volume up to dangerous levels in order to hear anything. :no:

Woah this forum has a damn cool quoting system. Anyway, yes I tend to churn up my volume to dangerous levels sometimes. But sound leaking has its benefits, that is I won't get run over by a car from behind while listening to Hitomi Takahashi blaring away.

It probably sounded muffled as you've been spoiled by your Grados ;)

There is a saying that Grado lovers hate Senns, and Senns lovers hate Grados - the sound that comes out from both of them just go against each other. Grados have lots of detail, but not too strong bass, while Senns has good bass, nice warmth, but lots of detail lost.

As a fellow SR80 user, I can say that after I got my Grados, the rest of my headphones all sounded less detailed, and kinda muffled, especially the ones with a strong bass. Stuff like the Westones sounded muffled to me - Aron at Stereo Electronics was having a good chuckle at me when he say me almost trying to shove a UM1 into my ear in an attempt to get every last drop of sound from it. :rolleyes:

If you're not afraid of IEMs, you should give the Etys a listen - they're known for their highs, and some people have even called them "sterile", but I think they should be right for you.

If you want something more balanced, you can follow the other posters' recommendation on the FC-7, and give a listen (hopefully Stereo Electronics has an open set, if not, can use the 7-day return policy). Just be prepared to give up some of that detail.

IEMs? I am afraid of it being stuck inside. lol. And they are really expensive. Is there a pair of headphones out there that can produce SR80 quality sound under isolated conditions?

There are closed design option that may not sound totally like a Grado but certainly not inferior like a PX200. However, it could look bigger and certainly more expensive, eg Beyer DT770pro. There's actually potential for Ultrasone HFI-15G which I rather fancy as a portable can but its high price (near $200+ at the former AA) simply puts it out of contention.

The Beyers are NOT portable at all, I saw someone wearing the DT880 (or was it the 770, can't see well from a far) portably in my school library and it was huge. If you don't mind looking dorky, the size should make toting it around a pain in the rear.

The PX200s are closed (i.e. isolates meaningfully), portable and foldable, besides they are much cheaper than the SR80, there's really no competition which one I'll bring in a portable situation. Besides, after trying the SR60 on the go, I think I am losing too much sound to the noise.

Edited by Username

I don't mind looking like a dork as long as I get good music. So Beyer's good? I'll give it a try then. After I save up enough money that is.

It really depends what your priority is, sound or portability or looks. I wear iems, earbuds, ear clips and cans on the go (pass by SP everyday...:P) but usually fall back on my DT770pro and sometimes DT831. I've tried SR80 but it didn't work out as there's too much interference. If Ultrasone HFI-15G costs less than $150, it will certainly be my choice for a portable can.

Edited by Mackie