Sign in to follow this  
ablaze

Gilmore lite

ok, according to antness, he's made some cosmetic improvements to the lites, and they will be shipped tomorrow. so for those ordering, its close! wink.gif

lites are shipped. but we agreed on EMS shipping ie. expediated, with tracking no.

but he shipped it airmail. doesn't do much to add to his already enviable reputation..sigh.. sleep.gif

justin, if you're reading this, I hope you have something to say, since I still have that email you sent me confirming the terms of the sale and the agreement that it'd be shipped EMS.

Sorry no digicam so no pics. Looks exactly like the one on the website except that the screws are different and the power switch is those black button switch and not a toggle switch.

Not great at review so...I won't. Maybe Eric? Maybe some preliminary impressions.

It runs hot. Warm to the touch. Build quality is good but QC not so good. Eric will know what I mean. Or maybe I'm just anal about such things. As for the sound I only have a HeadSave Ultra as reference. Basically the Lite has the same sound as the Gilmore V2 (or my impressions of it). Have it paired with a AKG501 (my main purpose for it). Has no problems driving it well. Better than the HeadSave Ultra. The Ultra can drive the AKG501 to good volume levels but not with the kind of power and ooomph that I heard when the AKG501 was driven with the Glimore V2. Although the Gilmore Lite has a gain of 5 and the HeadSave Ultra has a gain of 10, they both sound like they have the same gain level. Maybe the HeadSave Ultra just slightly more. At the end of the day I felt the Gilmore V2 had slightly more power and drive than the Lite (or what's left of my impressions of it) but basically the same sonic signature.

Edited by pipee

thats not bad for a mini-review what wink.gif

anyway, what do you mean build quality is good, but QC is not? got problems with the lites?

oh, you're using the supplied Elpac with a step-down transformer I suppose?

I guess it's OK lah. Just some cosmetics stuff. Construction is well built. So no problems there.

Yep. Using the Elpac with a cheap $5 step-down transformer + a 2-3 pin adapter in between. biggrin.gif Don't know how much this affected the sound.

I think this is better value for me at $460 compared to the $290 that I paid for the HeadSave Ultra second hand when paired with the AKG501 due to the extra ooomph and drive sound-wise. But I guess it evens out with something easier to drive like the Grados or Senns.

What specifically are the differences in sound between your Headsave Ultra & the Gilmore Lite using the K501?

What specifically are the differences in sound between your Headsave Ultra & the Gilmore Lite using the K501?

I'm really not good at describing stuff. Best I can describe it is that with the Ultra sound comes out but somehow you feel that it is not driving the AKG501 to it's full potential. Sounds more grainy, more compression (you wouldn't know if you don't compare), more airer? (doubtful) and you know it's having a tougher time driving. The Lite sounds a lot like the V2. Good tonality. Each instrument is more rounded and given special attention. When the music gets complicated, they don't lose focus. With the V2 you get more transparency and a sense of more effortlessness. One thing about the Gilmores I've noticed is that they are not as airy as other amps I've heard. Say like the Corda HA-2 and Sugden Headmaster (now that's one airy amp). It's definitely not a light sound. Maybe it is this missing airiness which makes people like TubeRoller not liking the Gilmores. It gives the impression that there is not much instrument separation and that spacious feeling (soundstage?). I don't know.

Edited by pipee