ericssan

My quest to find ideal mate for AKG K701

I read online info for some time. K701 is said by others to go well with

Solid-State: Heed Canamp, Stello

Tube: Yamamoto, Cayin HA-1A, Bada PH-12, Darkvoice

I am currently using it with Darkvoice. Still burning in. Not a bad combi in my opinion.

For me, hunting down an amp is part of the pleasure in this hobby. Enjoy your amp search!

DV amp? How does it fare with the K701?

I'm currently using the Zero DAC as source, and am using the internal headamp of the DAC. Which unlike what most ppl think is actually v good (maybe its just me), though slightly grainy and lack that extra bit of seperation and midrange warmth. Having said tt its really v good already.

I'm looking mainly for something with greater clarity and detail, and also more midrange warmth for those male voices.

I have read many good words regarding Zero and Zero+. I have not tried it, I am not sure. I believe the amp department of Zero should be very good relative to other similar priced DAC/AMP units. But when compared with dedicated headamp, it is likely to be not as good, especially when we are talking about driving the more challenging K701.

My interest - classical, female vocals and instruments - means that I need clarity, accurate high, full midrange and wide soundstage. That is somewhat similar to your needs. My Marantz->DV337->K701 is quite satisfactory in this arena. If you keen to try DV, you can try to audit at vendors' sites. Especially a place with with numerous amps for you to A/B. If you can't find, you can bring your HP and DAC to my place to try out the DV. Just give me a pm.

Peanutbutterjam, I just got one Zero (OPA627) to test. When compared to DV337, the headamp output is way way way different. Shows that you might want to consider a standalone headamp to drive your K701 to fuller potential. Hope that helps.

Off-topic 1:I'm using Zero to bypass my Marantz DAC department. First impression is that it make a rather huge difference. Cannot say for sure until I do A/B testing.

Off-topic 2: The MOer, Monsterlim, is a recommended reseller. Have not had any issue so far dealing with him, apart from him being a too efficient avenue of cash outflow for me.

Edited by RickEC

Hmm interesting. How does the zero compare with the DV? Frankly speaking I haven't tried the DV337 yet, I only tried the DV332 and LD MK II - V, plus a few more solid state ones including the GS-1.

I also haven't tried any DV amp yet, but does it make K701 poison(for any type of music)?

I believe it is difficult to make it 'poison'...