Sign in to follow this  
evil-zen

question regarding mic preamps and hifi preamps

My Gilmore headamp has a preamp output but my soundcard doesn't have a mike preamp. I was wondering if i managed to connect a mike via mini to female mini cable to male rca into rca inputs, could the preamp essentially function as a mike preamp? Is the signal strong or clean enough?

What is so special about mike preamp over the conventional 'hifi' preamps?

I asked so that I wouldn't waste money making cables that didn't work. Thanks in advance.

In a nutshell, gain consideration. LINE level (audio) sources are much-amplified signals over MIC (microphone) level signals. Line level is usually between -10 to +4 dBm in strength while MIC levels are normally -60 dBm.

In a nutshell, gain consideration. LINE level (audio) sources are much-amplified signals over MIC (microphone) level signals. Line level is usually between -10 to +4 dBm in strength while MIC levels are normally -60 dBm.

I am no expert like Mackie but in the last few months, I have been trying to get a mic input into a MP3 line in and have had no success despite spending money on line impedence transformer, plus all sorts of advice. Not easy thing to do.

Thanks Mackie. But what if I don't turn up the volume as much? Won't it be lesser gain then?

It's the inherent maximum gain (ratio of output signal/input signal) of the pre-amp design. U need a pre-amp with much higher gain to amplify the comparatively weak input signal from a mic as mentioned in my earlier post. An audio pre-amp will have lower gain than a mic pre-amp as line level input signal is stronger.

Edited by Mackie