Sign in to follow this  
kenshin_himura

UM1

Guest dogfight

speaking of silica gel, do those small packs you find in seaweed packets help? i cleaned the pack and placed it inside the standard westone carrying case..does it help much? heh

It's the same silica gel used everywhere. Same for your shoes etc. Unless you have a Dry Cabinet. But of course, wipe moisture off your gadget before placing them in the Dry Cabinet. :D

Hi,

Ater some usage, the oils from your ear canal will migrate to the triflanges and make it softer. Which is also the reason why the triflanges turn yellowish.

An experiment worthwhile trying would be to massage Nivea body lotion into the triflanges. Wipe it dry so none of the lotion gets into your earphone. Why don't you try and report your findings and... mmm... you will be amply rewarded.

Washing them - As long as it is with an acceptable cleaning agent, aka soap and water, it should be perfectly alright. If you have sensitive ear canals, you might try and get some surgical soap which is neutral pH.

Thanks

thx for the help! got the tri flanges from jaben todae.... but i am wondering since some water migrate to the earphones past the triflanes.. wil it damage the UM1? managed to clean off the water but wonder if it wil cause permanent damage to the UMs

Guest dogfight

where can i get one of those silica gel

i guess you can find them anywhere, in shoe boxes, seaweed packets, biscuit tins, etc

alternatively u can buy them off the shelves at electronic shops i think. but what for if you can get them for free? =)

Silcia gel (packed) can be found in those seaweed pack as mentioned earlier? Unless if you really have alot of things to keep dry. The Silcia gel are sold in bottles and can be found in photography or film shops. They are also reusable by heating in microwave oven. Pinkish indicates moisture. Blue indicates least or no moisture absorbed by Silica Gel. :))

If the UM1 is properly dried out then there should be no damage unless the water has gotten into the armature... just dry it out asap. But since there is a filter between the speakers and the tip it should have been trapped at that point.

thx ...read the previous thread on the silica gel.. some forumnites mentioned abt buying those 2 KG bottles of silica gel and pack them into small sachets anione noe where to get those sachets tpe bags??

Guest dogfight

haha yea he's the forever friendly uncle wilson that we all know =)

Sachet-type bag? You know where to find them? :))

You could try one of those tea-sachets thingies they sell in NTUC or Daiso. You know, the type where you stuff the tea-leaves in and pop the bag into the cup or kettle. Makes cleaning up those tea leaves a cinch. It's porous, so it should work :P