Sign in to follow this  
jasonhanjk

Playing MP3 via Marantz CD7300

Yo guys.

Lately I dig up my Marantz CDP and do some serious listening. Finally I manage to listen to the finer detail the CDP is able to produce compare to X-fi. Even on MP3. :P

Now I got the problem of newly burn CD with MP3 data, having error reading. Using Benq DVD burner.

I use Verbatim CDR and burn at 12X speed. Error read.

Samsung premium CDR, burn 12X occasional stop.

When I use my Samsung premium CDR burnt few years back, no problem.

I wonder is it due to my burner.

If you're wondering I burn using MP3 format, 'cos I cheapskate and wanna save a few CD. :P

Edited by jasonhanjk

Ok, this is what a DVD seller told me. If you want to minimise burn errors ie resulting in read errors later, burn at the slowest speed. I have not tried it yet so i can's say if it is true but it makes sense to me.

I was told by the same dealer that the Verbatim made in Japan discs are the best quality normal cost CDRs around. About $18 for 50 pcs, in SLQ. But like I said, must burn at slowest speed for best result.

Edited by heady

yup, its true, burning at the low speed. needless to be the lowest but the lower the better.

oh ya some basic knowledge i learnt last time.

cheapo cdrs:

green-base cdr r better for audio

blue-base for data

normal silver for video

One experience i had whilst burning cds is that when I continue to use the computer whilst burning cds, there is a higher chance of an error, probably either due to the CPU or memory usage.

You can try maybe closing some of your processes and not multitask when burning the cds, if you haven't done so of course.

Contrary to the above posts, I suggest you do not buy Made in Japan (Taiyo Yuden with greenish colour) disc for your marantz player. I tried the same disc on CD17 as well as CD6000 and both doesn't read them although it reads fine on other cdp.

Verbatim/Mitsubitshi with the AZO blue dye with silver reflective layer should work perfectly fine. For higher speed CDr, i suggest you burn at 16x or even 24x. I found less errors on 16x compared to 8x.

Before you buy a stack of CDr, I suggest you try burning what you have at 24X to see if it solves the problem.

My experience.

Reflectivity of silver vs gold. Silver is better than gold.

http://www.mscience.com/faq54.html

Taiyo Yuden is greenish because of the gold reflective layer + blue-green cyanine. I believe that's the reason why certain cdp can't read them.

Verbatim with blue azo dye has silver reflective layer so it appears blue. Better reflectivity = better readability.

Another weird thing I observed is that Taiyo Yuden burnt at 8x can't be read on a cdp while those from the same stack burnt at 16x can be read. So slower is not better according to my experience. Most of the time i burn at 16x now. Faster and better. Why not?

Of course, different media differs in their ideal burning speed.