Sign in to follow this  
That dude

Ipod 5g Rockbox

Hey guys. I tried to install rockbox today, however, when i try to access my command prompt, it says that another application is running it, and i can't access it!! :wallbash: anyway to bypass that step in installation? pls help. :helpsmilie:

Edited by That dude

I think you'll have better luck asking in the Rockbox forums. Not many people here use Rockbox and the iPod 5G at the same time.

emm... i'm interested to noe how it sound compare to iriver h series... coz i might wan to get 1 video and rockbox, lineout to amp... i lyk warm sound wif details...

Right now, I think it should be better, since the iPod 5G + Rockbox is capable of doing hardware EQing, which unlike software EQing, doesn't produce as much fuzz if not at all. (Clipping and distortion does occur on bad recordings still, but software EQ causes this to happen as well)

I don't know how the Rockbox folks did it, but they supposedly did a great job at it. There's an entire thread at Head-Fi dedicated to this.

Right now, I think it should be better, since the iPod 5G + Rockbox is capable of doing hardware EQing, which unlike software EQing, doesn't produce as much fuzz if not at all. (Clipping and distortion does occur on bad recordings still, but software EQ causes this to happen as well)

I don't know how the Rockbox folks did it, but they supposedly did a great job at it. There's an entire thread at Head-Fi dedicated to this.

The 5G iPod uses the Wolfsten WM8975 audio codec. This chip has a built-in EQ. The Dell x5x series also use the same audio codec and with a software enable the HW EQ.

I have my Nano Rockboxed. But i only used the PC to perform the FAT32 formatting while my powerbook (Mac) does the installation. Works fine for me.

How does it sound after rockboxing (hmmm is there such a term??)

From what I read the battery life will suffer ? How's yours ?

Sorry ask a lot :blush: , coz I intend to go nano and rockbox it too. :drool:

Thanks !

Sound improvements can be quite significant with the UM1. The ability to adjust EQ to compensate the treble roll offs is a plus. Battery life won't suffer dramatically. Quite usable and i have no plans to revert the firmware.

How does it sound after rockboxing (hmmm is there such a term??)

From what I read the battery life will suffer ? How's yours ?

Sorry ask a lot :blush: , coz I intend to go nano and rockbox it too. :drool:

Thanks !

batt life will suffer for hdd ipod but flash base ipod, there is no spinning of hdd requirw so batt life still ok...

you could just get the radio remote, especially since theres rather credible reports(if it matters to you) that the radio remote gives a cleaner sound than the lineout dock. Cheaper than getting a "turbodock" +IC and you get radio to boot...

emm... radio remote will be very long. radio remote dun think it supported wif rockbox

okok... i sorry... haha... i'm pairing it with my amp and im716. tt y i consider it too long... radio remote, ic, amp, im716... omg.. the length... even im716 cable length i find it long and use the smartwarp to shorten it...