Sign in to follow this  
aegisofrime

Best headphone under $150?

Hey there guys. To cut a long story short, I have just POP recently, and just gotten my measly allowance of $350, and I have maybe 7 more days of block leave left. Thinking of getting a new headphone to enjoy for the rest of my block leave.

I have been reading here and elsewhere that the Goldring DR150 and Philips 890/895 are good phones for their price. Thinking of heading down to Stereo to try the Goldring.

Currently my shortlist includes Audio-Technica A500, Goldring DR150 and Philips 895. Welcome any other suggestions of good headphones under $150. And most importantly, I listen to rock. I learnt the hard way that I cannot take every "OMG these headphones are the l33t pwnz0rS" review at face value after buying the CK7. >_> Thanks guys!

Hi Aegisofrime,

How about getting a Grado 80 or see if you are lucky enough to get an used Grado 125?

Hi,

Get Grado SR60 and keep the rest in your wallet :)) You will never go wrong with SR60 unless you don't like bright sounding headphone.

Cheers

Thanks for the suggestions... I have certainly considered the Grados and MS1, since my buddy has got a MS1 himself and I kinda like it. But, don't flame me for this, I actually prefer the KSC75 over the MS1 >_>

Read over at head-fi that the Philips 895 delivers good detail and clarity. Thinking of getting that, as detail and clarity are pretty high on my list. The highs should be too fatiguing, and that's what I'm afraid of with Grados. With my CK-7 sometimes electric guitars make my ears hurt.

Guest joi-ful

I used to think the Grado's are bright. But as I grew along with them, I'm beginning to appreciate them even more. There is a slight spike at the mid-treble (that's all) but I think what most people consider to be bright and harsh (even by me last time) are actually the details and treble extension. It's the poor recording which makes the sound bad.

Nice! Audition the cans at SE and see if you like them.

P.S. I also tried the sr225, sr325i at SE. Despite rave reviews of the sr225 at Head-fi, I didn't really like it (maybe due to my poor source...DAP only). The sr325i is somewhat like a more refined sr60, warmer with nice details.

The sr225 is a really fatiguing phone though. It appears to have more details than the sr60 only because the details are just more obvious and amplified, to the point where you can't really concentrate on the singer. =/

Dang! If I posted this at head-fi I'm gonna get flamed for saying the sr325i are warm compared to sr60 and sr225. Ehh, seriously speaking, do I have TIN ears??

timely.

our a500 is on promo at $125 total (no gst) from tomorrow till 17sep.

Currently my shortlist includes Audio-Technica A500, Goldring DR150 and Philips 895. Welcome any other

I'm using LDM+ to drive a Senn HD580 which is 300 ohms.

LDM+ knob at 11 o'clock position.

P.S. I also tried the sr225, sr325i at SE. Despite rave reviews of the sr225 at Head-fi, I didn't really like it (maybe due to my poor source...DAP only). The sr325i is somewhat like a more refined sr60, warmer with nice details.

The secret with SR225s is flats, you HAVE to have it :yes:

Oh, ok, wow. I guess its a good buy huh>Amazon

Specs :cans::grin:

What we need for those skullcand(ies), are some decent reviews... They still seem rather rare all over headfi, only came across it once when someone was also asking about it.

after some auditioning, i'm quite attracted by the alessandro ms1 which combines bass with the detailing and airiness of the stock grados. however before i make any decision, can i enquire on the alternatives in the same price range? got to hear of audio technica a500/ad500, how do these compare to ms1?

Edited by Theatre Of Dreams