ekka1968

MS-PRO V.S. STAX

If I were you, since could be tested in the same building, I would either,

(a) Loan the MS-pro from Wilson and walk over to Kingsley to test the Stax.

(b ) Loan the Stax from Kingsley and walk over to Jaben to test the MS-pro.

I guess very few people have experience with the both AB together therefore might as well do it yourself.

Edited by Stereo_Electronics

Definately STAX... i doubt you woould be able to carry the amp + earspeaker away... Electro static phones are very fast and neutral.. if you compare side by side i beilieve you will find dynamc phones very muddy <_<

Definately STAX... i doubt you woould be able to carry the amp + earspeaker away... Electro static phones are very fast and neutral.. if you compare side by side i beilieve you will find dynamc phones very muddy <_<

Would the Stax sound as good in average pop and rock music(especially the bass dept) as the MS-pro?

Edited by Stereo_Electronics

I dun think so... Grados are famous for their production of sound from string instruments.. However Stax has more resolution and yet effortlessly produce all the details. They do not sound that magical for strings

They are definitely very very different sounding. One on each extreme end. Grado with a small soundstage and Stax with a very big one.

Beware of Kingsley... Less than ideal service to a young guy like me. Rather snobbish and didn't even bother to help me order the pads when i went more than a month ago. When i went to listen to their 404 + 006t + some high end Esoteric universal player with my own disc, I realised that it is rather muddy and flabby in the bottom end compared to my own 303 + 313 + my dac. I told him that and I think he treat me as farting...

My recommendation is to buy the 404 + 313 amp if you like the electrostatic sound. The 006t tube amp is not that good according to my experience and Kevin Gilmore technical experience.

They are definitely very very different sounding. One on each extreme end. Grado with a small soundstage and Stax with a very big one.

Beware of Kingsley... Less than ideal service to a young guy like me. Rather snobbish and didn't even bother to help me order the pads when i went more than a month ago. When i went to listen to their 404 + 006t + some high end Esoteric universal player with my own disc, I realised that it is rather muddy and flabby in the bottom end compared to my own 303 + 313 + my dac. I told him that and I think he treat me as farting...

My recommendation is to buy the 404 + 313 amp if you like the electrostatic sound. The 006t tube amp is not that good according to my experience and Kevin Gilmore technical experience.

Maybe next time, if you go over again to try, comment the setup was superb :whistle: + he's service is excellent :whistle: + very good audio knowledge :whistle: but due to budget constrain need to consider over, rather than " it doesn't sound right" especially when the salesperson feels that how can my expensive setup not sound good :angry: ..... he might take it personally and therefore don't expect good service next time. :cry:

But I'm not implying to lick he's a*s :drool: but maybe leave your honest comments after you set up a comfortable relationship with the salesperson. Who knows, you might even walk away with a discount when you really want to get something from him. :grin:

Aron is right, both customer and retailer wanna hear "encouraging" words, be them true or false, just for the sake of building a good relationship from the onset.

Look for Michel at Kingsley as my friends and I have enjoyed pretty friendly service from him, albeit ending up with no sales. :P

Edited by Mackie

Hi Evil-Zen,

Or the kingsley's setup revealed something you had never expected from your disc?

I hardly lie so I just spoke the truth. That is just my personal opinion. At first I thought he would give me explainations like headphone/amp/tube/cdp not burned in or different preference and I would have gladly accepted that. But he totally rejected the idea that 303 + 313 can be better than his 404 + 006t.... I think some people are too sensitive about their equipment. To me I would treat opinions as ways to further enhance my system.

He also said I'm wasting his time when I used my CDr. I've been using that CDr for years ever since the first few SGH meet so that is my reference. Heard a lot of system using that disc so I'm pretty sure I heard what it should be in.

But still, he still didn't call me back regarding the order of my pads after a long time. I went back to remind him but seems to have no effect.

Ok no more Kingsley OT.

I hardly lie so I just spoke the truth. That is just my personal opinion. At first I thought he would give me explainations like headphone/amp/tube/cdp not burned in or different preference and I would have gladly accepted that. But he totally rejected the idea that 303 + 313 can be better than his 404 + 006t.... I think some people are too sensitive about their equipment. To me I would treat opinions as ways to further enhance my system.

He also said I'm wasting his time when I used my CDr. I've been using that CDr for years ever since the first few SGH meet so that is my reference. Heard a lot of system using that disc so I'm pretty sure I heard what it should be in.

But still, he still didn't call me back regarding the order of my pads after a long time. I went back to remind him but seems to have no effect.

Ok no more Kingsley OT.

I guess its not cheap to order just the pads for you unless you're willing to cover the expenses on air freight so he's probably going to order the pads together with the next Stax shipment.

I have encontered a very good and friendly service from Kingsley.. The guy there purposely took out and setting up a new set of amp and earspeakers for me to audit. And when there is another walking customer, he politely ask the customer to have a seat on the sofa while waiting. When asked for feedback, i also replied a "not so good" comments on the SQ... but i also hightlighted that pehaps the amp and earspeaker is sill in state of unburn etc... I feel kinda of bad purchasing the headphone cover only :grin:

Ok no more Kingsley OT.

Well John, maybe it was the way you talked to him, or you may have caught him on a bad day. Mackie and nakedtoes has good impressions of kingsley. As for the ordering of the ear pads I can't really comment. If were I you, I would have paid them 1st and ask them to order it for me. In that way it should be faster. Furthermore, I am pretty sure they do not keep stock of such things since not many people could afford the stax.