Sign in to follow this  
Guest dogfight

Modifying Tri-flanges to Bi-flanges

Guest dogfight

hi there. i've a pair of UM1 and is quite satisfied with it. i'm currently using the short complys and have a problem of inserting it into my right ear. can't seem to have a comfortable seal as my left ear. is there anyway to ensure that there is maximum seal or sthg? and i'm trying to modify the shure triflanges into biflanges.i've very small ear canals and i'm unsure whether to cut of the biggest flange or the smallest flange+stem. any suggestions? however i'm afraid that cutting off te biggest flanges would leave me with lesser insolation.

any input would be deeply appreciated =)

I cut the smallest off mine. Not only does it fit me, my girlfriend can wear comfortably too. Try inserting yrs to the middle flange and see if isolate well and stays on securly for you. If not, keep the largeest flange and cut off the smallest. Triflanges are pretty soft, softer than soft flexes, shouldn't have much trouble with the fit.

Guest dogfight

do your largest flanges stick out of ur ear by quite abit?cus mine does..not only does the earphones stick out..but also the flanges

Nope, after I cut out the smallest flange, it can go quite deep. Before that, the smallest flange keep poking the deep bits of my ears and was very annoying. Because of the length, the earphones also stick out too much. Bi-flange is the way to go.

Guest dogfight

yup i've tried them together..thats why i said that almost half of the largest flange sticks out..i'm using the smallest size for shure grey flexes. btw can a pair of scissors do the job neatly?

not a prob, just lift up the flange den snap the stem off :)

the small and mid is nt much of a diff, so i guess snapping off the smallest top flange is recommended.

the mids to push in, the big 1 to big a gd seal.

somehow liddat, quite bad at explanation

Edited by ahdui

yup i've tried them together..thats why i said that almost half of the largest flange sticks out..i'm using the smallest size for shure grey flexes. btw can a pair of scissors do the job neatly?

If you got a sculptor's knife, it would be very good. It will be fine with scissors or penknife. Give it a fast and clean cut, or you will end up with rough edges.