Sign in to follow this  
sputnik00

suggestions to replace trusty md player

hi

just discovered that my old md player is starting to conk out ... any suggestions on a replacement?

things i love about it which i would want the replacement to have:

good battery life

equally good sound quality

am thinking of getting one of those hi-md devices to replace it but they don't seem very popular in s'pore so if anyone knows of a shop in s'pore, will be grateful if you could point me in the right direction.

cheers

You might prefer portable cd players to mp3 players in terms of sound quality but u might should give mp3 players a try cuz of their small size.

If you choose either of them, there are some threads in the forum related to which one you should choose...

Cheers :beer:

Edited by That dude

hi guys,

thanks for the feedback. i do have an iAudio U3.

it sounds great. but somehow the MD sound is fuller and warmer esp on vocal / instrumental numbers.

anyone in this forum is an md user?

yup, have to agree.

MDP and PCDP sounds way better den DAP.

a mx500 + some aiwa MD player can easily beat any ppl walking out there :)

I donno dude... MD just seems dead. Why not go back to CD player?

BTW what's hi md? Hifi MD deck?

A Hi-MD is a relative new MD that is able to hold about 1GB of data in one disk. It's also backward compatiable with the old MDs but only achieving about 300MB of data. I do have the 1st generation Hi-MD flagship model MZ-NH1. The SQ is simply superb compared to my 5G iPod. Too bad I only use occassionally nowdays.

yup, have to agree.

MDP and PCDP sounds way better den DAP.

Yup true. Eventhough it usually has a lower power output compared to Pods, my MZ-NH1 works like a charm with my Grado SR-325i. :P Too bad I don't bring it outdoors. If not looks like a 'bling bling'.

I still use my MD some time.. however looking for a MD with true line out is also quite impossible for now unless you go for older models or you used it ampless

I have a Sony MZ-R900DPC. If u wanted to buy it, I can sell it to you. Its in my storeroom. Price negotiable.

I think MD market is dead in Singapore. There is no shop selling original artist mds anymore. Couple of years ago still can see them at HMV but the price is really expensive & its not really worth it.

So I believed most of your mds are recorded from cd etc ?

It true that md sound is better than cd but if there is no demand, then there wil be no new technology.

I find it no point investing in something which is as good as dead in Singapore unlike LP.

The choice is yours.

Edited by Jeremy

It true that md sound is better than cd but if there is no demand, then there wil be no new technology.

I find it no point investing in something which is as good as dead in Singapore unlike LP.

The choice is yours.

I don't think md is superior sounding than cd and in fact, this is an interim technology borne during transition from cd to mp3 format. In the latter phases, sound quality is compromised (more compression) in favour of smaller playback unit, lower storage memory, longer battery life and greater portability. Now that DAP market has matured, this relegated MD players to oblivion but not all will see it this way though. For instance, I still use a MD player in favour of ipod shuffle if I'm listening to classical or jazz while on the move. I also find it fun converting cds to mds but only for certain genre.

Edited by Mackie

Now that DAP market has matured, this relegated MD players to oblivion but not all will see it this way though. For instance, I still use a MD player in favour of ipod shuffle if I'm listening to classical or jazz while on the move. I also find it fun converting cds to mds but only for certain genre.

True, I think MD is still quite popular in other countries like State & Europe.

But u will definitely need to record your songs from cd or other sources as I doubt there is any original software available here.

I can't find the reason of recording to a blank minidisc ( u need to buy ) as compared to a mp3 player which is so much cheaper & convenient.

Anyway still trying to get rid of my md recording player.

Regards.

Edited by Jeremy

Jeremy: Post an ad in the classifieds section. There may be interest if the price and condition is good.

Jeremy: Post an ad in the classifieds section. There may be interest if the price and condition is good.

Ever post in Yahoo but no response. Infact there was 2 but luckily never shipped out.

O.k. I will try to post it here later but really don't know how much can I get back. -_-

I would rather sell it to someone who can appreciate this player than to trade in at cash convertor. I see how they displayed the 2nd hand md player like no man business..... :angry:

OT for a while...

How do u get the songs u want into an MD, if u use line-in recording, won't it affect the sound quality?